• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I be fired for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Denise Crew

Two years ago, my company closed my office and moved us to another existing office. I was advised by the facilities manager that I should throw away or give away everything but the desks and file cabinets. I did this. The employees each received something. I received 6 watercolor prints. This facilities manager is now asking for these prints back, as she said they are now worth money. I told her I would not return them, and feel after two years they are mine. I have nothing in writing, but do have witnesses within the company who would be willing to testify to this. My concern is that I will be fired if I don't give them to her, but I feel that if everyone else keeps what they received (ie. tv, vcr, refrigerator, etc.) that I should also be able to keep what I received. I would appreciate some advice!!! Thanks!

ALawyer

You may have a choice --
1. keep it and let them sue you for it or fire you or otherwise retailiate on the job, or
2. return it.

Business life is NOT about being fair. The company person who said take it probably should not have and may have lacked authority to have given anything away, but instead return things that have likely use to the main office or sold it at auction or on eBay so the company gets the value. But if s/he did the picture may be yours.

While you can make a fuss about fairness, any business person who hears that says to herself the person is a baby complaining she didn't get a free ice cream cone while others did. Get off it, you have no right to get a bonus of valuable stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">