• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

counterfeit money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dianeh245

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Can a cashier in a convenience store be made to pay for a counterfeit bill?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Can a cashier in a convenience store be made to pay for a counterfeit bill?
No, the cashier cannot be forced to pay for taking the counterfeit bill.

The owner can however decide that they do not want the cashier to work for them anymore either.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether an employee can or cannot be required to pay for such errors is state specific; however, very few states permit it. I don't know off hand about VA.

Even if the employer is prohibited from requiring the employee to reimburse him for the counterfeit bill, however (which in most states he would be), the employee can be disciplined in other ways up to and including termination.

commentator

Call your state's department of labor, wage and hour division, and they can tell you quickly. In some states, if it is in the hiring agreement that you are responsible for covering these types of situations, then they can actually charge you, though not deduct it from your wages if it does not allow you to make at least minimum wage for the hours you have worked. But your DOL wage and hour will know this quickly and easily. Meantime, check those bills carefully.

In my youth I worked at a tourist resort for an employer who, after a rash of counterfeit bills were passed, assured us that if any of us took a counterfeit bill, it would be in our next pay envelope. How brilliant was that????

Last edited:

HomeGuru

I heard a news story once where the cashier's friends payed with bogus bills. At first the cashier was off the hook until the camera footage showed the same people going into the store.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">