• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Course of Action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecrowe

State: TN and PA

I received a employment contract that among other things stated that I was allowed to work from home for the period of 'Several Months'. However, after 2 weeks I have been terminated with the justification being that had I been able to work from their location I would have been able to keep my position. I offered to transfer to their location in an attempt to satisfy this requirement but they refused.

What remedies are availible for this type of situation?

Beth3

Do you have a bonafide employment contract or is what you are describing an offer letter? In a contract, it would be unusual to have such vague wording as "several months."

ecrowe

Contract

I am not entirely sure how to characterize the contract. It was in the form of a letter that explained compensation, work arrangements, and expected start date.

In reference to the 'Several Months' quote it goes on to say that it was expected that I would relocate in six months.

I responded to the letter with some changes which were then confirmed to be accepted by him and myself. How would I know if this wasn't a bonafied contract?

Also, they have asked me to fill out a form W-9 to receive a paycheck for the work that I performed for them as a consultant and also for the work that I did as a fulltime employee. I am not certain but it seems to me that by filling out this paperwork I would then be unable to apply for unemployment, does this seem questionable?

One final question related to this, is it fair to assume a minimum duration of 6 months if it states in the contract that I am expected to relocate to their offices in 6 months, obviously I would not relocate if I weren't a employee of the company still.

Thanks for the help and information

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">