• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Covenant To Compete..please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hands4ever

I worked for a janitorial service for 9 mo. My husband recently started his own cleaning business which he wants me to work for but am concerned about the "covenant to compete" statement I signed. This is what it says but doesn't seem right. "I____, agree that I will not directly or indirectly engage in the same of similar line of business so as to "actively" compete OR take away from any business carried on by the employer or engage to work for any individual, firm or corporation with the same intent in____ or____ counties,Iowa for a period of 2 yrs."
I'm reading as though i can work in the same field, but I cannot take away or compete with accounts the employer already has.Am i reading this correctly? Thank you so much for any advice!!!!!!!!!!

JETX

hands4ever said:
I'm reading as though i can work in the same field, but I cannot take away or compete with accounts the employer already has. Am i reading this correctly?
Nope. There is nothing in the agreement that you provided limiting it to only the accounts that your employer has.... only that you will not compete against them.
As for whether they can actually stop your efforts.... will require a FULL review of the facts.

hands4ever

RE:covenant to compete

JETX said:
Nope. There is nothing in the agreement that you provided limiting it to only the accounts that your employer has.... only that you will not compete against them.
As for whether they can actually stop your efforts.... will require a FULL review of the facts.
(hands4ever)So you are saying I cannot work in the only field I know for 2 years????? This is legal?

hands4ever

hands4ever said:
(hands4ever)So you are saying I cannot work in the only field I know for 2 years????? This is legal?
Can you define compete? Can I ask the accounts I find, if my previous employer works for them and if not, can I have the account?

JETX

hands4ever said:
No, that is not what I said. You asked if you were reading your agreement correctly. I said no, you weren't.

As for whether the non-compete would be found valid depends entirely on the EXACT terms of the agreement, whether the agreement is valid.... and whether a court would agree to enforce it.

And since you didn't follow the forum rules ("WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE")... no one can even start to tell you what your state practices might be on non-competes.

Gadfly

Cool your jets x,

The quote from the OP's agreement seems to indicate that she is locked out of two counties in IOWA (That's a state). It would seem that anywhere else in IOWA or the rest of the world would be outside the control of this agreement.

hands4ever

non-compete question

Thank you Gadfly, you are obviously more mature and professional than this JETX character who can't even read a post correctly, hard to beleive he is even in this field, don't think he'll ever make a career of it. Does anyone know what can happen if I continue to just go ahead and work in the field, would they or can they sue me? My original post included word for word exactly what the covenant said, that's it..just wondering the reprocussions, Thank you!

JETX

hands4ever said:
Thank you Gadfly, you are obviously more mature and professional than this JETX character who can't even read a post correctly
Just as I expected.
We have a poster who can't follow the forum rules, even when pointed out to her.
Then, we have a nitwit who offers NO legal advice whatsoever, and the poster thanks him.
Two nitwit peas in a pod. :D

Does anyone know what can happen if I continue to just go ahead and work in the field, would they or can they sue me?
Yes, I know.

My original post included word for word exactly what the covenant said, that's it..just wondering the reprocussions
There is no such thing as 'reprocussions'. Do you mean REPERCUSSIONS?? :D

With your poor grammar and inability to follow clear and simple instructions, I can't believe you are able to hold any kind of job.... other than at McDonalds where they have little pictures to help the uneducated run the register. :eek:

hands4ever

comebacks

I'm glad you're so happy with your stupid-ass comebacks JETXASS...so childish. For one, YOU are the incompetent idiot that can not follow a post..I followed the rules and stated the state I was from in the 1st damn post, are you a retard???? Your "advice" and mannerism SUCK and I'm sure the University will love to see a copy of this. You are a sorry excuse for a human, have a nice day.

HomeGuru

hands4ever said:
I'm glad you're so happy with your stupid-ass comebacks JETXASS...so childish. For one, YOU are the incompetent idiot that can not follow a post..I followed the rules and stated the state I was from in the 1st damn post, are you a retard???? Your "advice" and mannerism SUCK and I'm sure the University will love to see a copy of this. You are a sorry excuse for a human, have a nice day.

**A: good luck in finding a NEW job hand cleaner.

hands4ever

HomeGuru said:
**A: good luck in finding a NEW job hand cleaner.
I see you and your buddy Jetass do alot of this...why don't you get real jobs. "hand cleaner"..hahaha, that's funny. No, actually I am a "professional" massage therapist, but thanks. I'm done wasting my time here so much luck in your useless lives:D :D :D :D

JETX

hands4ever said:
I see you and your buddy Jetass do alot of this...why don't you get real jobs. "hand cleaner"..hahaha, that's funny. No, actually I am a "professional" massage therapist, but thanks. I'm done wasting my time here so much luck in your useless lives:D :D :D :D
And with a mouth like you have, bet you get a LOT of business, huh?. :p

CarrieT

JETX said:
other than at McDonalds where they have little pictures to help the uneducated run the register. :eek:
I was wondering what those pictures were for, but its understandable since at Taco Bell the pictures arent in English :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">