• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Covenant Not to Compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Suzukigrl

I live in Atlanta, GA. My company is headquartered in VA (not sure if that's relevant.) My question is regarding the Covenant Not to Compete which was included in my employment contract at the time of hire in August 2000. I have recently been presented with a new contract due to a raise, and I am hesitant in signing because I am currently seeking new employment. I am an Outside Sales rep in Gov and Educ Computer Hardware Sales. However, my company does business in numerous states and provides a wide range of technological services in addition to a wide variety of hardware.

It states:
Employee agrees that, while Employee is employed by the company and for a period of 18 months after termination of his or her employment, ... Employee will not ... (a) Perform any technology services to, or interfere with the Company's relationship with any person, company or other entity that was a client of the Company or was identified by the Company as a prospective client during the period that Employee was employed by the Company. .........

"Technology services" is defined as the sale, design and development of products, tools, and methodologies to support business improvement and/or operations, and any other work or business of the Company in which Employee participates as an employee.

How much validity do these hold in the state of GA? Given the broad scope of these statements, could they be deemed unreasonable? And, IF this were enforced, that would mean that I can not work anywhere in the technology field on pretty much the entire eastern seaboard.

Sorry for the length, but please advise.....I'm panicked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">