• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crager34 Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crobo

Is it legal for an ex-employer to try and vindictively bash you to your new employer in any way? Especially if you left on your own terms with a good review, etc? State is Ohio.

crager34

get proof

Not sure in Ohio, but it's against the law in Colorado. All you should really need is a representative from your new job that can testify, to the point that he is bad mouthing you. Find out if a recording is admisable as evidence if only one party knows they are being recorded....works that way here. If you can get proof that he is slandering you, you should have a case. If you feel strongly enough and have the proof....get a lawyer.

C

crobo

I actually heard through the old grapevine that they were going to "make trouble" for me through the old grapevine. I went to a vendor of my old company and so I thought they might try to get at my new employer as well for predatory hiring practices. But the bottom line is I pursued the new company...not the other way around. I also never signed anything other than a standard non-compete and I don't see how that would apply here. Thoughts?

crager34

OBJECTION!!

Hear-say. If they bash you, if it causes you harm with your new employer, and if it can be proven...you will probably have a case. On the other point - You went to a vendor of your old company: That's a bit vague. If your new place sells what the old place make, your not really competing, so the non-compete should be mute. Am i missing something there?

C

crobo

your close...we make something they sell, but I don't even work on that product. Nor are they a very large customer. This would probably take the form of someone important at the old company contacting someone they know here and making disparaging comments. I know it sounds crazy, but I hear they've done this before to other people who have left the company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">