• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credential

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zhanya

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Michigan

Position requires a Masters Degree. Rate of pay is in line with the credential.Later revealed that while the hired individual went through a Master's Program the thesis was never submitted. Any problem? Other passed over candidates actually had the Masters credential in full by completing the thesis. Would this be a situation of fraud?

Beth3

First off, who are you? The employer? A job candidate who was passed over?

If the person who was hired lied about having their Master's Degree, the employer is free to terminate him or her. If the employer wanted to hire this person knowing he or she hadn't completed their thesis, they were free to do so and pass over candidates who had.

zhanya

I am neither employer nor person passed over, just a person who wonders if a Masters in considered a Master's when the person has not actually submitted the thesis. To me it seemed like fraud. In this situation I would think I had no right to ask Human Resources if they were aware.

Beth3

I can only give you a general answer as determining the criteria necessary to perform a job is entirely up to the employer. If an employment ad says, for example, "B.S. required" the employer means it. However it does happen that a candidate can emerge without the required educational criteria that the employer is so impressed with they elect to overlook the requirement.

No, this is not remotely any kind of fraud on the employer's part. It's also possible that as a condition of hire, the individual agreed to complete and submit her thesis within "X" amount of time so that she will have her Master's Degree.

This all assumes there are no federal or State licensing requirements that have to be met by the individual in this position. (e.g. a medical facility can't hire someone to be a doctor who does not have their M.D. and is also licensed by the State to practice medicine.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">