• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pally57

By boyfriend was recently hired by a company as a loan officer, which is his profession. They offered him the job and he was to start November 1st. They asked for a list of references which he provided. They sent him an e-mail stating his references checked out fine and they were excited about him starting. The company is locally owned and only employs 4 people. Three days before starting (today) they e-mailed him and asked for his social security number and permission to pull a credit report. He responded and told them he had a few personal issues and felt it was an invasion of his privacy and had nothing to do with his job performance. He also stated that they were pleased with his references he provided and that they were welcome to do a criminal check if that was a concern. They wrote back and stated that if a person has bad credit they could be a thief and they would not hire anybody based on bad credit. He has had 3 bad months of not paying his credit card bills and that is why he needs a job. When he would not give them permission to pull the report, they e-mailed him and said he could not work there and wished him good luck. He gave up another job and 2 interviews based on the fact they verbally offered him the job. Can a prospective employer NOT hire somebody based on their personal credit report??? I am appauled by this. Please advise.

HomeGuru

Yes they can and as a loan officer, he should already know that since part of the loan application papers include a form specifically relating to employment and other forms of discrimination.

P

Pally57

This is NOT right. I had a personal bancruptcy because of a divorce a few years ago and somebody used my credit cards and maxed them out. Will I not get a job because of this. THIS IS BIG TIME DISCRIMINATION. They are getting 40 hours a week of my life and have no right to my personal information. How about their finances. Will their checks clear and can they always afford to give me a paycheck. How can one get good credit again if nobody will hire them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">