• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Background Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksac

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
About 3 years ago I was convicted of 273.5 (a) felony domestic violence. I took a deal that gave me 400+ hrs of comm service, formal probation, min restitution fines, and 1 year of dv classes. In May of 2006 I will be off of formal probation. My lawyer said I could try to have this reduced to a misdameanor and possibly sealed. It is a one time offense and was directly related to a mutually abusive relationship and the consumption of alcohol. I have completed all community service and finished one year of dv classes in which I learned immensely. I did very well in this class. Time has passed and my life is completely different now. I am currently going to junior college and want to do something important in life. I would love to either become a teacher or lawyer. Could someone please tell me the realities of pursuing either career and what this would entail regarding criminal history checks. What I need is a realistic idea of how feasible these two career choices might be. I would also be very greatful for information concerning the reality of having this reduced and sealed. Thank you very much.

seniorjudge

Expungement/pardon

There are several thousand questions on this forum similar to yours. Thus, I have prepared a standard answer.

Standard answer: Expungement is generally granted for illegal arrests or unlawful convictions. Generally, pardons mean you are forgiven for the crime but it remains on your record.

Check with the governor or attorney general of your state to see how you can go about either of these procedures. Check with the Attorney General or the President for federal expungement or pardon.

You must remember that there may be private background check companies that have past offenses on their databases; those reports will never be expunged.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=848776#post848776

Stand by...others may offer more advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">