• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cronyism or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Treehugger

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if my employer is acting illegally. I know it feels like they are acting unfairly.

I work for a local governmental agency in the Los Angeles area. About two years ago a position was created in our agency for an individual who happened to be the sister of the member of a local government commission. That person left the agency about a year ago, the position was never filled or advertised, and was removed from our organizational charts.

Last week it was announced that another individual, who happens to be the daughter of an influential local activist was appointed to the same position. No announcement that this position was available was ever made to the rest of the staff.

I know it sounds a like sour grapes, but I have been with the agency two years longer than this person, and have a have a graduate degree as oposed to her B.A., and do feel slighted that I wasn't at least offered the opportunity to interview for the position. Our Executive Director does have a bit of a reputation for helping out friends of friends, and I can't help but think this appointment was unfair and inappropriate.

Do I have a point, or should I just get over it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Nepotism is grand, ain't it? Well, sometimes you might need to accept this, especially when government is involved.

Perhaps making friends there, kissing some tooshie might help! I know it may sound like a bad idea, but sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire OR find a different campground!

: - )

I prefer to find a different campground! Maintain your educational and personal integrity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">