• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Curious to the answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ReVint5

What is the name of your state?Massachusetts. I was asked to resign from the company I have been working for for the past year. I was given the excuse that I had been late too many times and that I did not give enough appropriate time when calling in sick. However, I was told that it had nothing to do with my work performance and that that was fine. Also, that she would write me a great recomendation. I find that strange. I work alone. There is no one else in my office. I had called out sick on a Friday, but I called at 2am. The work hours are 8am-4pm. That was six (6) hours notice. I worked for an agency that has not supplied any type of handbook with policies and procedures and seems to change things when it suits them. It has and I'm sure it will be again a two person office, but the other woman that worked with me resigned 4 months ago. I had asked for help, but to no avail. I was not given a promotion or any salary increase. I had found out last week from another co-worker in a different office that the woman who resigned wanted to come back. At first I felt a little threatened, but eventually realized I needed the help and I wouldn't have to train anyone. The person in charge called me on Friday at 3:15 to let me know that the woman would be coming in to work on Monday and that she would also be in. The person in charge did not show up until 1pm, told the other person to go to lunch, and then asked for my resignation. There were no warnings given or anything like that. Can this be done without a handbook of policies and procedures?

BelizeBreeze

ReVint5 said:
What is the name of your state?Massachusetts. I was asked to resign from the company I have been working for for the past year. I was given the excuse that I had been late too many times and that I did not give enough appropriate time when calling in sick. However, I was told that it had nothing to do with my work performance and that that was fine. Also, that she would write me a great recomendation. I find that strange. I work alone. There is no one else in my office. I had called out sick on a Friday, but I called at 2am. The work hours are 8am-4pm. That was six (6) hours notice. I worked for an agency that has not supplied any type of handbook with policies and procedures and seems to change things when it suits them. It has and I'm sure it will be again a two person office, but the other woman that worked with me resigned 4 months ago. I had asked for help, but to no avail. I was not given a promotion or any salary increase. I had found out last week from another co-worker in a different office that the woman who resigned wanted to come back. At first I felt a little threatened, but eventually realized I needed the help and I wouldn't have to train anyone. The person in charge called me on Friday at 3:15 to let me know that the woman would be coming in to work on Monday and that she would also be in. The person in charge did not show up until 1pm, told the other person to go to lunch, and then asked for my resignation. There were no warnings given or anything like that. Can this be done without a handbook of policies and procedures?
since you only asked the one question we'll give you a two-for one special.

As to your specific question, the answer is "YES".

As to the unasked question of whether or not this was a legal request for your resignation, the answer is "YES".

and for a bonus question, you live in an at-will state, so you could be fired for just about anything that is not protected status.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no legal requirement that they even HAVE a handbook or written policies, let alone that they cover every possible eventuality.

I agree with Belieze - nothing in your post suggests that anything illegal has transpired.

ReVint5

if you are not provided with policies and procedures how do you determine if you are an employee "at will"?

BelizeBreeze

ReVint5 said:
if you are not provided with policies and procedures how do you determine if you are an employee "at will"?
Look up at the sky.
If it's not really really BIG, as in "Big Sky Country", you're an at-will employee.

Or, unless you have a valid employment contract.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are an employee at will unless you have a bona fide, enforceable contract that says you're not. At-will is the default in every state except Montana, and even in Montana for the first six months (or the probationary period, if one exists) of employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">