• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cutting hours and sudden termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anima_Sola

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

So, I was hired as a full time employee of a major drug store, 6 weeks ago. One week ago, they cut my hours (along with two other employees) without warning or explanation. Two of us had them cut in half, making us part time, and the other is still considered full time. See, the thing about that is... the two of us that had the major cuts, are gay. I am a lesbian and he is gay. The other one, is one of only two black employees. (which the second black employee was only hired two weeks ago.) The boss was on vacation when these hour cuts took place (how convenient for him.)... and I went to work today, and 3 minutes into my shift, I was fired. The reason I was given was 'a lack of interest in the company or the position I was given.' WHAT?!?!? What lack of interest? Am I not there every day I'm scheduled, doing my work, to the best of my ability? Even showing up when people call in sick?!?!?!??? Also, I was never officially trained for my position, and he says that he was not 'satisfied with my ability to run my department.' Well hell no, I wasnt trained!

Is this a valid termination?? My coworker and I have gotten corporate involved, employee relations. They agree with us that this is not how the company should be operating. They are starting an 'investigation.' Now, the other thing... is that a majority of the employees there are on our side. They agree with us. They saw me walk out of the store today in tears. They know that it was wrong for me to be fired like that. Also, the managers are so very disrespectful to the employees... well, to a few of us. Rolling their eyes at us, insinuating that we are slow, stupid, and lazy. Talking behind our backs when they go out with the other employees.

Suffice it to say, I am not happy with this company, which shall remain nameless. I was outted at work for being gay, and not happy. I dont know whether or not there was any real discrimination going on... but I wouldnt doubt it. I have had four jobs in my life, and I thought I had seen it all. This goes far beyond any of my past experiences of 'gossip' and 'backstabbing' that I've ever seen. Part of it, I think... is the number of employees... its easier to talk about a few people than it is to talk about people in a larger company.

Am I wrong to be heated about this? Also, I have heard from people that I can demand my next check be ready in 24 hours. We get paid on thursday, two days away... and that gives them 48. Should I call and demand that? Or is that pushy?

Thank you in advance, AS.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although sexual orientation IS protected in Minnesota, you haven't convinced me that you were fired because you are a lesbian; at least, you haven't convinced me that you can make that case stick.

On the surface, this is a legal termination. Minnesota is an at-will state; you can quit at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired at any time and for any reason that doesn't not violate the law. His dissatisfaction with your ability to manage the department, regardless of whether you were trained or not, IS a legitimate reason to fire you. Nothing in the law says they have to be reasonable.

It may be unfair. I'm not saying it isn't. But everything that is unfair does not lead to legal action. It's not illegal to be a jerk.

If you have additional details that will convince me that your sexual orientation is the basis for your termination, bring 'em on. I despise discrimination and I feel strongly that sexual orientation ought to have more protection than it does. (Heck, I'm from Massachusetts - we even allow gay marriage!) But so far I'm not even close to certain that you can provide a basis for a case, and I wouldn't be doing you any favors if I told you that you could.

As far as the pay goes, Minnesota law says that if you are fired you are due your final pay within 24 hours, BUT there are some exceptions in the law which might not work in your favor. If I were you, I'd let it go at least till you see if you get your check on Thursday. If you do, no harm, no foul. If you don't, then scream bloody murder to the state DOL.

Here's a thought for you, btw. You live in one of the very few states where an employer is required by law to give you a truthful reason for your termination as long as you ask for it in writing within 15 business days of your termination. Check this out:

http://toolkit.cch.com/pops/P98_05_8620_MN.asp

It may or may not give you any legal standing for a complaint or suit, but it sure as heck will make them think.

Good luck and if you have more info for me, post back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">