• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was dating the boss, broke up, then got fired...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drea58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I had been dating my boyfriend for nearly two years, and we began working together about 8 months ago. He is the VP of the company, but was never my direct supervisor, as I was the Marketing Manager.
Earlier this week, he broke up with me and fired me within the same day-- there was no reason for me to have been fired, as I'd always received positive feedback for my work and I know that the only reason he fired me was because of the fact that our personal realtionship was over. Granted, I obviously would have choosen to eventually seek employment elsewhere, but wasn't expecting to be fired (or dumped, for that matter). Do I have a wrongful termination case?

Thanks for your help!

swalsh411

I would contact the EEOC and an employment attorney, if I were you.
What law do you think was broken? "ex-girlfriend of the boss" is not a protected class. What happened to the OP is one of the risks when you dip your pen in company ink and everybody knows (or should know) it. There is nothing in her post that indicates there was any harassment going on.

ecmst12

That's why I said to TALK to them. There is definitely something fishy to me about getting fired simply because the boss was ending a romantic relationship. May not be actionable, but then again it might be.

commentator

Meantime, also be sure to file for your unemployment insurance benefits. They're in place to make sure you have some income coming in if you are fired unjustly or for an arbitrary reason (not performance, but the fact that I'm not going out with the boss any more.) Usually, they are the only form of protection or recourse that you have when you are treated this way.

It is hard to get EEOC to see that you were discriminated against unless he made direct threats and forced you to have or continue a relationship with him or be fired. Just firing you without good cause after you two broke up isn't exactly at the level of on-going harrassment. I agree with ecmst, you might talk to them. But unemployment until you find another (hopefully better) job is a much more likely thing.

commentator

And elegantly expressed, I may add.

But having watched things like this in my place of employment for many years, I will have to say, this person probably enjoyed some special considerations for the time in which she was in the position of "one of the higher-up's special friends". But when it all came down to it, he had the power to terminate her when the relationship ended. She probably never had the power to get him fired when the relationship ended. So it was an uneven situation from the beginning. The really smart thing to do would have been to be diligently looking for another job during the relationship. With excellent references, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I'm not going to speak from a legal sense, but a common sense. Such things have happened for...well for a very long time. Laws have changed and people can sue for most anything, but, I suspect there is little one can do in such a situation.

Sexual harassment? Employment law violation? Maybe, but I suspect the hurdle is so high so as to not be worth the time. As ecmst12 says, talk to the EEOC. Still, make other plans. This will not end in the OP's favor.

cyjeff

I'm not going to speak from a legal sense, but a common sense. Such things have happened for...well for a very long time. Laws have changed and people can sue for most anything, but, I suspect there is little one can do in such a situation.

Sexual harassment? Employment law violation? Maybe, but I suspect the hurdle is so high so as to not be worth the time. As ecmst12 says, talk to the EEOC. Still, make other plans. This will not end in the OP's favor.
When both parties are consenting, there isn't any sexual harassment.

anteater

Hmmm... Interesting dynamics... Who cheated on whom first?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/libel-slander-defamation-88/email-slander-defamation-489522.html

10-22-2009
What is the name of your state: Ohio

Is it considered slander or defamation if I send an email to my cheating husband's family and friends outlining his actions that have caused the dissolving of our marriage? I'm going to keep it completely factual-- i.e. how I discovered his infidelity and what he was engaging in, but will leave out my opinions on him and the situation. Since it's all based on actual facts, can this still be considered slander?

And yes, I realize that this isn't the most becoming or rational thing to do, but you know the saying: "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned..."

ecmst12

I don't think this is a case of crapping where one eats, since they were dating BEFORE they started working together.

However, if he fired you because you aired his dirty laundry to his family and friends, that is going to seriously hurt any case you may have.

drea58

Meantime, also be sure to file for your unemployment insurance benefits. They're in place to make sure you have some income coming in if you are fired unjustly or for an arbitrary reason (not performance, but the fact that I'm not going out with the boss any more.) Usually, they are the only form of protection or recourse that you have when you are treated this way.

It is hard to get EEOC to see that you were discriminated against unless he made direct threats and forced you to have or continue a relationship with him or be fired. Just firing you without good cause after you two broke up isn't exactly at the level of on-going harrassment. I agree with ecmst, you might talk to them. But unemployment until you find another (hopefully better) job is a much more likely thing.
Thanks to both commentator and ecmst12 for the advice.
While I did not claim that there was every any harassment or discrimination (there was neither), I also wasn't seeking people's opinions on the matter. Yes, I realize all the cliches about "crapping where you eat" and "dipping into the company ink;" that wasn't the question. I'm simply seeking legal guidance about what options I may have, as it seems quite obvious that I was fired because I was dating my boss and the relationship ended. Thanks to those who have stayed on track and provided some assistance-- I appreciate your help!

drea58

I never went through with "airing his dirty laundry," so it's irrelevant.

I don't think this is a case of crapping where one eats, since they were dating BEFORE they started working together.

However, if he fired you because you aired his dirty laundry to his family and friends, that is going to seriously hurt any case you may have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">