• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter offered job, resigned previous job and...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LemonDrop

What is the name of your state?
Texas

My daughter was offered a job (she has a witness) and did a "try-out" because she is a massage therapist. (She took the day off from her other job to do this) After the "try-out" they offered her a job and asked her to report on "X" day for work. When she showed up, she was told by the person who hired her that "her boss said they had no openings" and when my daughter said "But I quit my job for this one, she said "Sorry for the inconvience". (like it was a fast food chain that forgot to put her french fries in her takeout! :mad: )

The Personnel Director is gone until October 3. Until then, I am gathering information. They did pay her for the one day "try-out" (which is common in the massage therapy world) and she DOES have an eye-witness to the job offer.

What are her options? She is now without a job :mad: and I'm as mad as heck.

I suggested we work with the Personnel Director first (no idea if she knows about the situation or not) but what do you suggest we do? Were laws broken??? I mean she wouldn't have quit her job had she not been offered a job for crying out loud!

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Bcar1463

I am sorry this had to happen to your daughter. My friend was in a very similar situation, except he moved halfway across the country to find there was not a job for him. Does she have anything in writing saying they are going to offer a job? I would agree with you and want to talk to the personel director and the people that gave her the try-out and offered her the job first. If you are not getting anywhere, I would remind them that what they did is unethical and most likely illegal. If your considering the legal aspect though, you would probably be interested in the concept of detrimental reliance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it's not illegal. Sometimes things happen and the company is unable to follow through with the hiring they thought they were going to do. Obviously it's not possible to say if that's the case here or not, but there have been legitimate cases when a company has had to withdraw an offer because of unexpected, unforseen reverses, loss of major accounts, drop in stocks etc.

Your daughter's only potential recourse that I can see would be that of a detrimental reliance claim, and that's too situation specific to determine on a message board. She should talk to a local attorney.

Beth3

Lemondrop, additionally, I suggest your daughter speak with the Personnel Director when he or she returns and see if this matter can be straightened out internally. I also suggest that your daughter handle that discussion on her own. I understand this is your daughter but you have no legal standing in her employment relationship. Your getting directly involved is not likely to help in resolving the situation.

LemonDrop

Thanks. I don't plan to "get involved", I'm just collecting information for her while she job hunts. I'm not an interferring mother but if she has a legal claim I will help her seek legal help on her own.

In the meantime, my pockets are rapidly emptying as I send her checks! :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">