• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death of a boss/boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amber04miami

What is the name of your state?
OHIO

About a year ago, my mother started dating the owner of the small company she works for. During this time, he became critically ill. Larry passed away last week.

Not long after they started dating, Larry bought my mom a Jeep. They never had the title switched into my mom's name so his family is now telling her she has to give it back (though he gave it to her as a gift). Does she have any rights to this vehicle?

Also, word has it that Larry's family is planning on firing my mom (they don't like her because he posed a threat - they thought she would come in-between them and the money they stand to get once he died). She has worked there for years and when Larry became ill, she moved into his house to help take care of him. She spent more time taking him to doctor appointments than she did at work but the company still paid her for full-time hour (even though her time cards stated a lot fewer hours).

When Larry passed, (he passed away at home) his children came in and told my mom to get her stuff out of his house and leave. They didn't even call her to tell her about the memorial service they were having for him.

Before Larry died, he and my mom were planning on going on a trip together. They had been saving up money and putting it in his dresser drawer - when he died, my mom had about $5000 saved up and stored in that drawer - when his children came in, they went through all of his things and took all the valuable items out of the house (Larry owes a lot of money and they knew that what they didn't take they would have to sell). Included in what they were taking was my mom's money. They said that since she can't prove it was her money, it isn't. Larry's kids and ex-wife took that money and used it for a trip to TN - they left the day after the funeral to "celebrate".

Larry did not have a will. He and my mom were planning on getting married. Now, she is left with nothing. They want to take her car, her job, and they took her money - can she d anything about this? There has to be some laws against this. I would think that since she set up a second residency that she would have some claims to the things in that house but I don't know for certain.

Any advise you can give will be much appreciated. Thanks, Amber

JETX

amber04miami said:
Not long after they started dating, Larry bought my mom a Jeep. They never had the title switched into my mom's name so his family is now telling her she has to give it back (though he gave it to her as a gift). Does she have any rights to this vehicle?
Unless she has something in writing to show his 'gift', then no. The only relevant issue here is that the title is in HIS name (per your post), so the vehicle is now 'owned' by his estate.

Also, word has it that Larry's family is planning on firing my mom (they don't like her because he posed a threat - they thought she would come in-between them and the money they stand to get once he died). She has worked there for years and when Larry became ill, she moved into his house to help take care of him. She spent more time taking him to doctor appointments than she did at work but the company still paid her for full-time hour (even though her time cards stated a lot fewer hours).
Regretably, none of that is legally relevant.

When Larry passed, (he passed away at home) his children came in and told my mom to get her stuff out of his house and leave. They didn't even call her to tell her about the memorial service they were having for him.
Regretable, but not legally relevant.

Before Larry died, he and my mom were planning on going on a trip together. They had been saving up money and putting it in his dresser drawer - when he died, my mom had about $5000 saved up and stored in that drawer - when his children came in, they went through all of his things and took all the valuable items out of the house (Larry owes a lot of money and they knew that what they didn't take they would have to sell). Included in what they were taking was my mom's money. They said that since she can't prove it was her money, it isn't. Larry's kids and ex-wife took that money and used it for a trip to TN - they left the day after the funeral to "celebrate".
Again, regretable... but not legally relevant.... UNLESS she has some way to PROVE that the money was at least partly hers.

Larry did not have a will. He and my mom were planning on getting married. Now, she is left with nothing. They want to take her car, her job, and they took her money - can she d anything about this?
Regretably, no.
The fact is.... she has NO legal claims to the vehicle (title in his name), the job (as she is 'at will') or the cash (in HIS house).

There has to be some laws against this.
Regretably, nope.

I would think that since she set up a second residency that she would have some claims to the things in that house but I don't know for certain.
Regretably, nope. She could have a third, fourth or fifth residence... and not make any different.

Any advise you can give will be much appreciated.
Sorry, but she has no legal standing on any of the issues you raised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">