• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceit and Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inknots

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I was hired as a spokesmodel for a well known beer company. I responded to the ad because the job in itself sounded appealing and the pay was excellent. I was called about a day after I applied, and I was told to attend training so that I can start work.

When I asked about what the job entailed, they told me, "talking to customers at retail stores and attending events, like boxing matches and games".

At training (which was held at a lady's house), I was given a training manual and an address of where I was to do my first job... I became suspicious after she told me that the skirt that I had in mind for my uniform was far too long (I told her it was about 3 inches above the knee, and that it looked good). After reading the training manual I also asked about the shoes (strapless heels were "required" for the job). I thought this was also a bit drastic being that the job required us to stand for 4 hours, and from previous work experiences, it is unsafe to wear open toe shoes at retail stores.

By "retail store" I thought they meant a clothing store at a mall or shopping center, or even a Ralph's or a known supermarket. I had a feeling to go check out this place, and as it turned out-- it was a liquor store/meat market. I was to stand in front of the beer cooler and approach customers that were going to buy beer in the liquor store and try to get them to buy the beer that I was representing.

Since it was late in the day (passed midnight), I wrote an email to my manager and I explained to her that I had scoped out the place and that I didn't feel comfortable in that setting, and that I didn't see it as a place where I would be taken seriously as an employee-- and furthermore, the fact of the place being a liquor store/meat market was never mentioned.

Her response to me was very uncalled for. She called me an unprofesional and asked me to return the items (phone cards and key chains to give away), right away-- being that I had signed a contract.

A copy of my contract was never given to me, nor was I asked for license or anything else during "training".

When I contacted the beer company, they were helpful, but they also said that there wasn't much they could do about it being that this seemed to be a matter that had to be dealt with the distributor. Is this true, and is there anything that I can do about this???? I saved her emails, as well as the job ad, which mentions nothing about you standing in a mini skirt and heels for four hours in a liquor store.

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No laws were violated.

Unless you signed a binding contract that guaranteed you employment for a specific period of time, forget about it and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">