• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deciding to resign before my contract has been fulfilled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carriecal

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In the process of being hired, a recruiter was used, and because of this my current job has a contract with me entitling them to a portion of my yearly salary prorated if I leave before a year is up. I was hired in October and it is now June and I have been offered the job of my dreams in a much better location, so I have chosen to take it. I was wondering how my current job can hold me to this amount of money.

Background:
I was forced to move to a location 85 miles from where I reside after just 2 months of employment at the original clinic. In the interview process it was never mentioned to me that I would have to travel to another clinic in other cities for work, however in my contract it states that I would need to travel to "various community sites" to fulfill my employment duties as discussed in the employment handbook and throughout the interview process. In my interpretation of the contract I believed "community sites" to be places outside the clinic that are in the town- 1-2-3 miles away. The travelling portion of this (the need to travel over an hour and a half one way) was never discussed in the interviewing process and I was basically forced to move. In addition, when I suggested that I might not want to commute this distance my supervisor suggested that I would need to find another job.

So I am wondering A) does "community sites" implies any set amount of miles?
B) if this was never discussed in the interview process do these restrictions still stand?
C) how will my current job be able to pursue me in the future to collect these funds

BelizeBreeze

Guess what? You signed a contract for consulting services and you are now going to be held to that contract?

does "community sites" implies any set amount of miles?
It means what the company says it means. The time to have it clarified was BEFORE you signed the contract.

if this was never discussed in the interview process do these restrictions still stand?
What restrictions? You signed a contract to pay for placement for a defined amount of time. These are not restrictions, they are contract terms. The time to have negotiated them was BEFORE you signed the contract.

how will my current job be able to pursue me in the future to collect these funds
Oh I don't know. Can you spell lawsuit, garnishment, Judgement lien?

Either pay the money to move into your 'dream position' or stay where you are and honor your contract. And next time READ the thing before you sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">