• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deduction from pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eric194

I am from Arizona. I recently quit my job without notice. I understand it is common curtesy to give 2 wks notice. In this case I decided not to. The owner of the company I worked for is famous for telling people to get the he** out or if allowed to work 2 weeks out he verbally abuses the employee for the remaining time. The day I quit another employee left me a voicemail stating that if I did not return the keys by 2 p.m. the owner would deduct the cost of changing locks to the building from my last paycheck. I recieved the message at 5 p.m. and returned the keys to a fellow employee that evening. I picked up my paycheck the following payday to discover a check for $0 and an invoice for the amount of locksmith bill. Question is can he deduct for this reason? There was nothing stated or required to be signed at hiring regarding return of keys and how long I have to return them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What is the name of your state?

No, he cannot. Contact your state department of labor and file a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">