• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohioman

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was employed as a temporary agent who sent me work at a large nationally recognized mortgage bank in Columbus, Ohio.

While I there about two months, I was accussed of three compliance violations and terminated.

The first two violations involved the work of an employee who was terminated shortly after I began work there. He moved a file cabinet into the hallway outside our office so that the members of that department could more easily access their files. There were two people in our department and the other guy was the replacement for the one who was terminated. After the file cabinet had been sitting there for about three weeks, the compliance cops came in and informed us that we had two violations for the file cabinet being in the hall. We told them that nobody had informed us that it was a compliance violation and furthermore, the former employee had moved it but they would not remove the violations.

The third violation came last week when they fired both me and the new(er) employee. This time they were pretty vague and said it had to do with the times when loans were distributed and it was in violation of some company code, mostly having to do with finding files. I let them know immediately that we had a schedule on our wall that we adhered to and that we never lost loans, that is a problem they have in underwriting.
Anyway, no one seems to care. The temp agency is not sending me on any more asignments and I have been unemployed for two weeks now.

Given the facts as I have presented them, do I have a case for defamation against the bank?

HomeGuru

ohioman said:
What is the name of your state? Ohi

I was employed as a temporary agent who sent me work at a large nationally recognized mortgage bank in Columbus, Ohio.

While I there about two months, I was accussed of three compliance violations and terminated.

The first two violations involved the work of an employee who was terminated shortly after I began work there. He moved a file cabinet into the hallway outside our office so that the members of that department could more easily access their files. There were two people in our department and the other guy was the replacement for the one who was terminated. After the file cabinet had been sitting there for about three weeks, the compliance cops came in and informed us that we had two violations for the file cabinet being in the hall. We told them that nobody had informed us that it was a compliance violation and furthermore, the former employee had moved it but they would not remove the violations.

The third violation came last week when they fired both me and the new(er) employee. This time they were pretty vague and said it had to do with the times when loans were distributed and it was in violation of some company code, mostly having to do with finding files. I let them know immediately that we had a schedule on our wall that we adhered to and that we never lost loans, that is a problem they have in underwriting.
Anyway, no one seems to care. The temp agency is not sending me on any more asignments and I have been unemployed for two weeks now.

Given the facts as I have presented them, do I have a case for defamation against the bank?
**A: no.

ohioman

more info

What I mean is I agreed to provide this company a service. I didn't agree to be the fall guy for their internal problems. They didn't inform me of their compliance policies and they blamed me for the poor performance of their regular staff who know what the compliance policies are and should be held responsible if their policies aren't adhered to. When this company terminates me for their own policies, doesn't that make me their employee?
And if I am their employee subject to the same punishment as the other employees, should't I be informed of the policies?
The main point is that they are transmitting false information about me to the temporary agency. It isn't that complicated. Either that file cabinet sat there for three weeks or it didn't. That can be verified by the other employees. Either I adhered to the posted schedules or I didn't. It isn't a mystery

ohioman

So are you saying that what I am saying is not true?
Are you saying that I misinterpreted what happened?
Are you saying that what I said is true but that's just too bad?

HomeGuru

Re: reply

ohioman said:
So are you saying that what I am saying is not true?
Are you saying that I misinterpreted what happened?
Are you saying that what I said is true but that's just too bad?

**A: I am saying what I said in the first place; you have no case.

S

Sinsaint26

No, it's just that a lot of the responders don't feel the need to explain why nothing illegal took place. I believe everything this poster wrote. It's just that nothing illegal took place. Whether he worked for company A or company B doesn't really matter, the company has the option to terminate an employee regardless of whether he was aware of the particular rule. Companies can even go against what their handbook states and terminate an employee when the handbook only calls for a written warning. The only way this would be illegal is if the decision to terminate was based on his age, race, gender, etc. The poster should be eligible for UC benefits because in most states only willful misconduct would disqualify a person from receiving benefits (and it doesn't sound like willful misconduct) but that's it. The company should have made him aware of the rules but by law they don't have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">