• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cbergman

What is the name of your state? NY

before i was suspended and the hotel moved to fire me, one of my managers who was privvy to what was going to happen, told a lot of my coworkers that i was going to be fired for theft. is that defamation????

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbergman said:
What is the name of your state? NY

before i was suspended and the hotel moved to fire me, one of my managers who was privvy to what was going to happen, told a lot of my coworkers that i was going to be fired for theft. is that defamation????
My response:

Could there be ANY truth to the allegation?

IAAL

C

cbergman

i didnt steal but they were planning to take action

the manager told people i was going to be fired for altering a check/stealing money...

it is true that they were going to suspend me, but the fact that i stole is not true. the suspension is pending investigation and the allegation that i stole is absolutely not true.

im outraged that she told people this information who had no right to know.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbergman said:
the manager told people i was going to be fired for altering a check/stealing money...

it is true that they were going to suspend me, but the fact that i stole is not true. the suspension is pending investigation and the allegation that i stole is absolutely not true.

im outraged that she told people this information who had no right to know.

My response:

If you have reliable witnesses that will agree to testify concerning the oral statements made to them by the manager, then yes, you have a viable cause of action for "slander per se". Damages are "presumed" when someone has been wrongfully accused of a crime. You need not prove "actual damages".

Go get em' !

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">