• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grashopr

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
Are there any laws protecting me from a previous employer answering a back ground check inquiry for a new employer with incorrect information? A previous employer lied about me on a form submitted to a back ground search company. I want to know if I can challenge them on it.
Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

You MAY be able to charge them 10 cents for the copy fee but until you come back with some facts, NO ONE can answer your question correctly.

grashopr

BelizeBreeze said:
You MAY be able to charge them 10 cents for the copy fee but until you come back with some facts, NO ONE can answer your question correctly.
Explain.
What additional information would be helpful?
As part of making application to my current employer I was required to submit to a background check. I allowed my now current employer to contact all previous employers, credit check, driving record, etc... I recently discovered that my ex-manager at my last place of employment answered a questioneer regarding my dates of employment, reason for leaving, performance, etc...
with incorrect written replies. The inaccurate statements were derogitory toward my charactor and work ethic.
A little background: I was let go from the position. Employment was at will.

BelizeBreeze

grashopr said:
Explain.
What additional information would be helpful?
As part of making application to my current employer I was required to submit to a background check. I allowed my now current employer to contact all previous employers, credit check, driving record, etc... I recently discovered that my ex-manager at my last place of employment answered a questioneer regarding my dates of employment, reason for leaving, performance, etc...
with incorrect written replies. The inaccurate statements were derogitory toward my charactor and work ethic.
A little background: I was let go from the position. Employment was at will.
WHAT did your previous employer say?

is that too hard to understand?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to your question depends on exactly, and I mean EXACTLY what was said. A negative reference is not illegal. Only an untrue one is illegal.

If the previous employer honestly believed that what he was saying was true, even if he was mistaken, there is no legal action you can take. He is entitled to state his honest opinion and he is entitled to be mistaken. Only if he deliberately or negligently presented incorrect information as fact do you have any legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">