• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation/Blackmail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kat20

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm hoping you can help me here..First off i am the Mom and man am i mad..Try to make this fast..My daughter has worked for 3 years at a bowling alley, 11/2 of which as shift manager, she went to work2 weeks ago and received 2 disciplinary action reports..1 for talking to another employee about a staff meeting..1 was for calling the manager at home the night before when all hell broke loose and she needed him, he says she made him look like an idiot, because he refused to come in..The first write up the other employee denied she had done, talking about the meeting..And the second one well, he made himself look bad there..Anyway when she got these she asked these 2 other employees to write a statement saying why the write ups were untrue so she could defend herself..They agreed to write them and also agreed the write ups were a joke..In her handbook it says to call the corporate offices if you feel you have been treated unfairly..As this all happened on a weekend, on Monday morning she called the human resourses rep. at corporate..he said that getting those statements from the employees would be a good thing to do..Monday night after talking to the rep. she walked into work and was handed termination papers saying " 2 employees have written statements that she tried to coerce/blackmail them into giving the original statements"..Now obviously she was stabbed in the back but good by the employeesand also obviously the manager got a call from the human resourse guy..but in the meantime we have contacted the CEO of the comp. and he brushed us off onto another human resourses jerk...Frankly I am glad she is out of that place but now when she fills out an application she has to write blackmail on there for the rest of her life?? This must follow her forever?? This was so obviously a personal thing done by the manager, to cover his own actions or inactions, but the talking heads don't seem to care...She's 20 years old and trying to work through college...is there now recourse here? Some way of even making them prove it, I mean they won't even tell us what these "blackmail letters" say..I always thought you had to have power over someone to blackmail them, she had no control over hours or pay or anything...is there anything to be done??? This is just not right....Doesn't this come under defamation of character??? Thanks for any help...The Mad Mom...

HomeGuru

Kat20 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm hoping you can help me here..First off i am the Mom and man am i mad..Try to make this fast..My daughter has worked for 3 years at a bowling alley, 11/2 of which as shift manager, she went to work2 weeks ago and received 2 disciplinary action reports..1 for talking to another employee about a staff meeting..1 was for calling the manager at home the night before when all hell broke loose and she needed him, he says she made him look like an idiot, because he refused to come in..The first write up the other employee denied she had done, talking about the meeting..And the second one well, he made himself look bad there..Anyway when she got these she asked these 2 other employees to write a statement saying why the write ups were untrue so she could defend herself..They agreed to write them and also agreed the write ups were a joke..In her handbook it says to call the corporate offices if you feel you have been treated unfairly..As this all happened on a weekend, on Monday morning she called the human resourses rep. at corporate..he said that getting those statements from the employees would be a good thing to do..Monday night after talking to the rep. she walked into work and was handed termination papers saying " 2 employees have written statements that she tried to coerce/blackmail them into giving the original statements"..Now obviously she was stabbed in the back but good by the employeesand also obviously the manager got a call from the human resourse guy..but in the meantime we have contacted the CEO of the comp. and he brushed us off onto another human resourses jerk...Frankly I am glad she is out of that place but now when she fills out an application she has to write blackmail on there for the rest of her life?? This must follow her forever?? This was so obviously a personal thing done by the manager, to cover his own actions or inactions, but the talking heads don't seem to care...She's 20 years old and trying to work through college...is there now recourse here? Some way of even making them prove it, I mean they won't even tell us what these "blackmail letters" say..I always thought you had to have power over someone to blackmail them, she had no control over hours or pay or anything...is there anything to be done??? This is just not right....Doesn't this come under defamation of character??? Thanks for any help...The Mad Mom...
**A: post back when you have calmed down.

Shay-Pari'e

In order to prove the defimation,the damaging information must be false, able to be proven to be false, and you must have witnesses. You stated in your post that 2 people signed statements against your daughter :rolleyes:

K

Kat20

First off I think it will be along time before i calm down..lol...as far as witnesses go..the termination papers are signed by another person who read them...witness?? Can't say for sure if anyone else was in the room, will have to ask that one...and of course the information was false..how do you blackmail someone when you have no power over their pay or hours or anything?? We did talk to 1 of the employees who told us she never used the word blackmail...i don't know, they of course won't tell us what they say...pretty bad when you can be accused of something and not be able to see it, read it, defend yourself...And i apoligize coming off mad, but she has already been on interviews and seen the way they look at her when she has to explain why she was fired, and i have seen each time she has come home from filling out applications and having to mark the boxes....thanks....Calming down Mom....

K

Kat20

But isn't Malice proven by the fact that she received the termination papers stating blackmail only AFTER calling the corporate offices, over the managers head, to complain??? This was pay back...

K

Kat20

which is the reason i guess i came here in the first place...well to vent too..lol....do you think she has anything here to use?? I guess we just have never found ourselves in any kind of position like this, to even use a lawyer, and you see so much sue for this, sue for that...I will give you a quick story though to make you laugh or not i guess...it is a bowling alley so the Sat. night after she was fired she went to watch her boyfriend bowl, she wore a shirt she had made that said Blackmailer on it on the front..and on the back was the definition of blackmail....sometimes you gotta love those college kids...i give her alot of credit for walking in and facing them....the shirt might have been a bad idea in the end but at that point she felt she had nothing to lose....BTW...the bowlers that she would have normally been working with....loved it....they are a little mad that somebody who actually can do the job is gone...

K

Kat20

oh and i forgot the target...a big red target drawn on the back....

And thanks for letting me talk....feeling alittle better already....well until Monday anyway...lol.....btw....my name is Debbie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">