• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation of character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whoanellie

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I recently applied and was interviewed for a job by the regional supervisor of a fortune 500 company. I consented to the background investigation which included a credit report. Since my divorce my credit history is terrible. The manager of the location where I applied has told the owner of the beauty salon next door that I have bad credit but I may still get the job. The area supervisor agreed that the manager should not have done this but he too discussed the situation with several women at the salon. I am so embarrassed. What should I do? Are there any laws to protect me from this kind of embarrassment?

Last edited:

Beth3

I don't blame you for being embarassed and angry but I can't think of anything that would make this illegal. You might want to take a read-through of the Fair Credit Reporting Act just in case there might be something in there however.

HomeGuru

whoanellie said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

I recently applied and was interviewed for a job by the regional supervisor of a fortune 500 company. I consented to the background investigation which included a credit report. Since my divorce my credit history is terrible. The manager of the location where I applied has told the owner of the beauty salon next door that I have bad credit but I may still get the job. The area supervisor agreed that the manager should not have done this but he too discussed the situation with several women at the salon. I am so embarrassed. What should I do? Are there any laws to protect me from this kind of embarrassment?
**A: I do not understand the relationship between the potential employer and the workers at the beauty salon next door.
Is the salon the neighborhood water cooler for gossip?

W

whoanellie

I gave them permission to collect background information about me that they agreed to keep confidential. They have not done that. I will continue to look into it further.

W

whoanellie

The owner of the beauty salon told me about the job. That is where I get my hair done. And yes it is the water cooler gossip place.

HomeGuru

I agree. That beauty salon owner needs an extreme face makeover. Well, one thing is that her mouth is too big.

W

whoanellie

No. The salon owner is not the one with a big mouth. The manager and regional supervisor of the company where I applied are the ones with loose lips. They are the problem not the salon. And there are laws that apply to hiring practices. They shared confidential information about me with other people that did not need to know. Where I get my hair cut is the least of my worries. But thanks for your input.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, there are law regarding hiring practices but they did not violate any. Their behavior was unprofessional but not illegal as far as I can see. Unless there's something in the Fair Credit Reporting Act which I missed (which I grant you is possible) the fact that they told you they would keep the info confidential does not give you the right to sue them if they don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">