• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation of character/slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scott34

Recently I had to talk with my department manager over an unexcused attendance policy.
The meeting went well and we both left happy, or so I thought. Some two weeks later a foreman at work told some other gossipers about what the manager had said, "watch him for signs of substance abuse". I do not use drugs and live in a failry small community where news travels like wild fire.

I went on vacation the following week and while out for supper some people were asking me what the hell I was doing selling drugs at work, needless to say I was terribly upset. I have lived in this town all my life (34 years) and have small children, and do not need this kind of slanderous gossip floating around and hurting me.

After vacation I set up a meeting with my department manager to ask why this got out into public knowledge, his reply was that the said foreman was demoted to a lower paying job....SO WHAT..the rumors are still there and my reputation is still tarnished from this.

Is there any legal action I can seek to keep this from happening to other employees. And is that a legal action for my employer?

Thank you for any replies and/or help

Still fed up in Iowa

ALawyer

Sorry to say this, but what you need is your management to understand the embarrassment and hurt this has caused and make good faith efforts to correct the rumor. A suit for defamation rarely would produce good results for you or anyone else. Nor will threats.

However, if there is no immediate response from local management, getting a friend in the chain of command to plead your case may help, or having a lawyer writing to senior management, but not threatening, may help.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">