• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation of character or slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hunta

What is the name of your state? florida

i am a former football coach at a high school i continue to teach at. the season is over and we are now in the process of placing our student athletes in college. one of our assistant principals has decided i do no do enough to help the kids and called a college. he spoke to the college coach and stated some very specific lies about me. little did he know that the college coach was one of my best friends, he is also used as a reference on my resume. could this be defamation of character or slander, this could have really hurt me getting another job? just wondering if there is anything i can do?

BelizeBreeze

Of course it can be.
NO WAIT!
Of course it CAN't BE...

No wait! How the hell can anyone know if you don't give specific facts?

Beth3

Since the college coach he spoke to turned out to be a good friend of yours, I doubt your reputation was irreparably harmed or that your buddy repeated anything that assistant principal said. You may have good reason to contact the principal of the school and complain about what the AP did but I don't see any basis to sue for defamation.

You can't sue for defamation or slander simply because someone says things about you you don't like or that are untrue; there are other elements that must be met including that the lies or negligent statements must be "broadcast to an audience" and that you experience damages as a result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">