• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation - liable references?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illinifan

What is the name of your state?

Illinois

Three years ago my position was removed due to company downsizing 2 months after I received a $10k pay raise. At dismissal my GM explained in great detail that I was not being fired and he even tried to find employment for me in another member company (no luck). He gave me a 3 month severance package at that time because I asked for it. I immediately started to look for employment and kept hearing that I was receiving bad references from my GM. Headhunters were refusing to seek employment for me due to fear of him finding out (they place people in his company for $) and the bad references they received from him. Ex coworkers were telling me that he was giving me terrible references. I witnessed this myself while I was there. It is common practice for him to give bad references. I have no idea why. After several months of being turned down due to his bad reference I found employment with my current employer. The only reason they looked past the bad reference was that they had previous experience with him and knew of his unprofessional tactics. After being hired I moved on with my life and forgot about the previous GM assuming that he would do the same. During this time though I had several people asking about my poor qualities or things he had said about me.

Here is the current problem. I am trying to switch careers and find employment in law enforcement. I applied to a large city department and made it to just before the last round of interviews where they do a thorough background investigation. I was rejected do to his bad reference. I then hired a third party organization to check my references on my behalf. I checked my previous GM and the sister company in the same organization before I transferred to his. The bad references (paper forms) from the GM included a score of 1 (inadequate) for interpersonal relationships, employee relationships, management skills, crisis management, personal integrity, trustworthiness and honesty. He even went on to say he would not recommend me for employment and that I was not eligible for rehire with his organization. I never received a bad comment about any of these areas in my reviews while employed. I am also eligible for rehire within his organization. The reference check from the other sister company showed ratings of 4 & 5 (outstanding) for these areas and even listed them again as my personal strengths.

I have reached my limit in dealing with this person and feel that he is personally trying to limit my future advancement, monetary gains and happiness by knowingly giving false information and attacking my character to prospective employers. What legal options do I have? This needs to be stopped or I will not find employment as a law enforcement officer.

( While I was working for the bad GM he told me several times that I needed to settle down and find a wife. Turns out he had a daughter that was moving back. He asked me several times to go have a beer with her and I declined. He then became increasingly demanding about it and after him making me feel like my job was on the line I gave in. I saw her for 1.5 months then started dating my wife. We were married 3 months before I lost my job. Now, I and whoever reads this knows exactly why I was terminated but according to a lawyer I trust I really had no legal rights and would have a tough time proving this so I did not try. I always try to take the high road when dealing with conflicts and decided to focus my energy elsewhere. I just want whoever advises me on my current situation to have all the facts.).

BelizeBreeze

Your 'bad reference' is nothing more than your supervisor's opinion of your work. Since you have not stated any specific charges of illegal or immoral activity, you have no recourse.

illinifan

false facts?

Thank you for the help. i do have a few more questions that I would appreciate your opinion on.

Would my GM saying I am not eligible for rehire be a false statement and one that is easy to prove? My position was removed due to company downsizing, I was not fired as I did not break any company regulations. The GM did leave that question blank, knowing that would raise more questions. I also know that it is company policy to only verify name, rank and dates of employment.
Thanks again.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If he would not hire you again, which is his choice, then you are not eligible for rehire and he is legally permitted to say that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">