• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation, libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

David Koontz

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I have been employed with the same company for 21 yrs working my way up through the ranks to the plant manager position. I have no warnings or disciplinary actions noted in my personal file for the entire 21 yrs. I always had good annual performance evaluations and was presented an outstanding achievement award twice in 11 yrs as a plant manager. I had an employee dump trash in front of the plant right before a big customer inspection for reasons that are unknown to me or anyone else. The action was reported to me by two fellow union employees. When I confronted the individual and his union rep. he denied it and the two of them proceeded to carry on inane arguments and make accusations that the entire plant management staff made this up along with many other things. I lost my temper and called one employee a bad name (swear word). I was not proud of it and apologized to the employee a day later. The employee was vindictive and pushed his union for more action to be taken against me. Eventually the local union relented and wrote a letter to the corporate office stating that the union employees had "zero respect" for me. I suspect the letter was written by the union's regional office attorney but it was signed by the local president. The company used the letter against me and forced me to resign with a severance package now or risk losing any severance and be fired. I have been humiliated in front of the management staff, the plant employees, the people of this small community, and my family. Do I have the right to sue the union for defamation of character and/or libel for what they wrote in the letter that resulted in my losing my job. I have a copy of the letter as well as my persoanl file showing no reprimands or warnings in over 21 years as an employee for this company. I do not want to sue the company unless absolutely necessary, just the union.

S

Sinsaint26

Unless the things written in this letter were knowingly false and meant to inflict emtional or financial harm you cannot sue. If the letter is an accurate description of the day's events there is no basis to sue. Any opinions expressed in the letter are not relevant. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion without fear of prosecution. As for your employer, you would have no legal basis whatsoever to sue them. Although I do feel that the company has taken drastic steps in light of your years of service and loyalty to the job, that does not mean it is actionable. It might be best to resign, accept the severance and see if you and the company can come to an agreement for them to give you high references for any prospective employers. Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">