• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

definition of salary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blyn

First off, I live in Pennsylvania. Here is the background information: I was working at a company were I was considered a "salary" employee. [Unfortunately for me, all being on salary ended up being was a way to not pay me for any overtime (which I worked a lot of!)....but I digress.] I didn't have health insurance through this company (as the business was a small start-up), and there was no paid vacation/time-off etc., nor any type of retirement plan. On the average, I worked about 45 hours per week (even though we had agreed on 40 hours), and on a few occasions it even rose to 60 hours per week.

Here is my potential problem:

My boss was apparently unhappy with my performance, and I was unhappy with the management style -- so she gave me less than 24 hours to decide if I really wanted to stay at this company. (It was of her opinion that we should just part ways and throw in the towel.) I was taken aback, of course, but upon her urgence I told her I would finish out the next week (as it was a busy time for the company) -- and that would be the end of my employment there. She agreed.

Now, my last week I was only scheduled for 26.5 hours (and anytime I was at work any longer than this I was kind of rushed out the door.) My concern is that because she only let me work 26.5 hours, she will only pay me for 26.5 hours, and not my regular weekly salary. According to our agreement, I was a "Salary" Employee, and therefore got paid for 40 hours/week. [I realize that agreeing to no health benefits, etc. was an error of my own judgment.] However, do I have any grounds here for demanding my regular pay, or not? I will not get my paycheck until the first week of January & would like to know where I stand legally before I say anything (in the event that I am paid for only 26.5 hours).

Thanks to whomever!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">