• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deigned Unemployment Benefits/Disabled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmforan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin.

I was terminated from employment for missing 8 scheduled work day's in a row without calling. I had previously been given a five day suspension for not calling in and missing 1 scheduled work day. At the time of suspension I was informed that a mental health evaluation was highly recommended. This was noted on my suspension. I did do this and was placed inpatient and was given a medication and treatment plan for Bipolar Depression and was told by my Psychiatrist that I was now considered a person with disability. When I returned to work I had a discussion with my employer that I was now on a medication that would require a more stable work schedule, I worked in a power plant that operated on 24/7/365 schedule and working all 3 shifts during a work schedule was fairly common. After this conversation my schedule got considerable worse and I was not able to take my medication with any regularity, resulting in a full blown recurrence of my worse symptoms which were isolation, panic attacks, and fear of social contact. This led to my staying in bed for over 7 days not answering the phone or door and feeling no self worth. My crazy work schedule was considered a mitigating circumstance in my initial attacks due to the lack of any normal schedule or sleeping patterns. I was deigned unemployment benefits and have appealed. I submitted a letter from my Doctor stating that I am disabled and with the medication I was taking a lapse in taking this medication would most likely result in a recurrence of symptoms. What else can I do? I had good reviews from my employer up until the attacks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I cannot even imagine a set of circumstances under which missing 8 days of work without calling, or designating a family member to call, would be considered a reasonable accomodation that the employer must accept.

Get yourself better, apply for unemployment, and find a job with a schedule that suits your needs.

commentator

You were fired from your job for a good misconduct reason. Not calling in, not reporting for work for several days. No where in the world are you going to find an employer having to make allowances for this clearly defined and clearly intentional misconduct because of your mental disabilities and keep you on the payroll.

The only way possible that you might be eligible for unemployment under these circumstances is if if the reason you did not show up for work was that you had a complete mental meltdown or were hit by a bus that morning on the way to work and were hospitalized, kept there and very heavily medicated for the whole time you were absent. And had no one around you who could call in and tell your employer what had become of you either. Then you might still be able to receive benefits, providing you had a doctor's statement and full documentation of this, PLUS a release that releases you now back to full duty, available to work any days hours and shifts that are available to you.

If you are terminated for a good misconduct reason, no call no show being a really excellent reason, you are not eligible for unemployment insurance. Regardless of whether you are handicapped or have a disability or not. That you maintain that your work schedule has actually caused the mental problems or exacerbated them is not going to be an excusing factor for unemployment purposes.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">