• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demotion???????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

P.A.A.

I was just curious if someone was demoted due to lack of sales, is the company entitled to take wages from the individual. Notice I said lack of sales and not decline in sales. The store was opened about a year ago and never got off the ground and there has been no support from upper management to help increase sales, But since the sales have not increased they want to demote the current manager and take 5000.00 in yearly wages from him is this legal in the state of Pennsylvaqnia. Thanks in advance

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are we talking about a decrease in salary, or a fine? If a decrease in salary, yes, it's legal, as long as the employee is notified before it goes into effect. If it's a fine, I want more details.

P

P.A.A.

It is a decrease in salary. It just happened to a family member of mine and he is having a hard time dealing with it financially. He was just told one day that they were demoting him transfering him further from home aqnd decreasing his salary. It is a bummer because the guy puts in 70 hrs a week and really tries to make it work but unfortunatly the upper level support just was no there for him. Now he went from a 20 minute commute everyday to a 1.5 hour commute and took a cut in pay. I told him that I believed it was legal and he should start looking elsewhere because they still want him to work the same hours etc so he is getting the bad end of the deal.

Beth3

As long as they notified him of his pay decrease before he started working at the new wage and he's being paid at least minimum wage, yes, it's legal.

I hope your family member has started a job search. Between the hours, the salary, the commute, and the low sales, it doesn't sound like a very attractive or viable opportunity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">