• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

almondjoy

What is the name of your state? CaliforniaI have worked for this relocation company for over 5 years now. I have been trained on many different desks within the office, I am currently the "Router box Coordinator" but have been designated as the in house computer person since I first started here.

Over the years, I have been relied upon more and more for my computer skills and was told by the CEO of the company that I was to become a part of the IT team in front of the entire office. This was over a year ago and still nothing has happened.

I recently sent my managers and supervisors an email requesting an increase in pay for my performance and skills. I was told that my current salary is based on my current position and I was asked to provide them with figures. I did that. I was then told that there was a "freeze" and that I would not be receiving an increase. I had told them that I understand the reason behind my not receiving the increase I had requested and also told them that I would no longer be doing anymore IT tasks since my salary is not based on that and no where is it in my job description. I was just informed today that my current position is a 4 hour a day job and they are dropping me down to a part time employee.
Can they do this? Considering we have 3 other offices nationwide and there are 4 other people who perform the "Router Box Coordinator" desk and they are not being dropped down to part time employees? Or is this more of my being punished for standing up for myself?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

StacyLB

Yes they can do this. Just as you had every right to tell them you would no longer perform IT functions, they have the right to alter your position.

While I understand how you felt, let me suggest that it is never a good idea to tell your employer you won't do something. More so in todays economy. The employer sounds as though it was trying to make you cross functional without compensating you as such. You would have been best served to work hard, get your experience and then find another position.

Now you're in a tough position. If you need your job and can't move to part-time, approach management and apologize for your lack of judgement. Tell them you feel you communicated inappropriately and ask if you can reassume your IT duties as well. I don't know if they'll go for it, but you never know.

Beth3

You asked for an increase; they replied and said they basically couldn't afford it right now; you then informed them you would no longer be performing certain job duties. Have you ever heard the term "insubordination"? You're fortunate they didn't fire you on the spot.

Your request for a pay adjustment is understandable however you don't get to dictate the terms of your employment and it is never a good idea to tell your employer what you will and will not be doing. Yes, they can do this.

Your options are to tell them you realize you "overstepped" and ask if they will consider returning you to full-time status and see if they'll change their minds or to start looking for a new job. You may need to do the later regardless as it's quite likely you have soured your relationship with them and it's never going to be what it was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">