• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

demotion at 6 mo. pregnant... legal??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jack Bosco

In NORTH CAROLINA... I am the only female manager at a company with 60 employees. Due to economic conditions, the president decided that a reduction in force was necessary. The department directors decided, without my input, that my entire staff would be let go, and that I would take over all responsibilities formerly assigned to my staff. No one initiated conversation with me about these changes in responsibility.

I am now a manager with no direct reports. My job description in no way reflects what I am being asked to do. I am also 6.5 months pregnant. Is this legal? Can my employer change my job responsibilities without notice? Do I have any recourse?

I wonder if they want me to leave of my own accord. If they terminate me without cause, I am released from my non-compete agreement.

I can't get a new job, because then I would not meet the 12 month requirement for FMLA. Help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, an employer can change job responsibilities with no notice. Unless you have a VERY real reason to think that this was done BECAUSE of your pregnancy (and from your description I think that's unlikely) your pregnancy is irrelevant. The burden of proof will be on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">