• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demotion Warnings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

john_seed

What is the name of your state? CA

I was reading bits and pieces of stuff regarding demotions, and am under the impression that a company has to warn you of such a move before it happens. Is this true?

Can a company legally tell you that you have been demoted, and say that it was official "last week"?

Thanks for the advice.

J

john_seed

This is a completely separate topic. The topic of the previous thread had to do with the hiring practice, and the legality of demoting in that case. This is a general question that I believe can stand alone in its own thread, and I think it should. The information could be useful for another individual, and why should that person have to dig through other threads to find it?

gryndor

Whatever

Do as you please, I'm no moderator.

I did just the same thing with one of my two-part posts and I was advised to put them together so that the readers had all the necessary background info. I was told to do this before I'd get any kind of answer.

So good luck to you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. It is not true that an employer has to give you warning of a demotion before it happens. While it is preferable, it is not required. They can tell you when you clock in on Monday, "Effective today you have been demoted to x position" and that is perfectly legal.

What you may be referring to is that an employer cannot make a pay decrease retroactive. While in the absence of a contract they are at liberty to lower your pay (as long as they do not lower it below minimum wage) they have to tell you about the decrease before you work any hours at the lower rate.

However, if they were to fail to tell you of a pay decrease going along with the demotion until after you had been working at the lower rate (for example, if you'd started work at the new position on Monday and they didn't mention that your pay had been decreased until Wednesday) all that would happen would be that you would have to be paid at your old rate for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. It would NOT make the demotion illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">