• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denial of unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r.taylor190

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I worked at a small garage as a mechanic. The boss came in one day and said that I had not gotten a bolt in correctly on a car I had worked on a week earlier. He took me and showed me the bolt which had been missed I apoligized at which time he told me "I dont need you anymore". I asked if was firing me for missing the bolt? He replied I never fire anyone I just dont need you anymore. I went to file for unemployment all went well till about 2 weeks after filing at which time I was told he was fighting me getting unemployment. My question is came I be denied Unemployment benefits for making an unintentional mistake?

Beth3

My question is came I be denied Unemployment benefits for making an unintentional mistake? Yes, it's possible. It depends on how serious the mistake was and whether (because of training/experience) you should have known better.

r.taylor190

No you can't be denied

Recieved my letter today. First off the employer must have gave me a written warning and notified me my job was in jeapordy also the employer must prove it was done on porpose.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
rtaylor, while that is perfectly reasonable in your circumstances, I think you'll find that it's not a hard and fast rule. Otherwise, someone who embezzled $20,000 from the company, punched his supervisor in the nose, or sexually harassed someone would have to get a written warning telling him his job was in jeopardy if he did it again. Obviously, that's ridiculous.

Whether ANYONE gets unemployment is very situation specific. Because UI decided YOU should have gotten a written warning first, doesn't mean that's going to be the case for everyone who is fired for poor performance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">