• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

raywilder8841

What is the name of your state? Pa. After verbally being hired at a new job I was taken out on a run with the new boss to check me out.I was to start on the following Mon.after I summited to a full physical including a hernia check by a WOMAN?I then filled a cup with urine which fell off the back of a arched shaped toilet back.I was unable to put the cup down anywhere else.I was then told I couldn't leave until I went again due to DOT regulations!This was a pre-employment physical.It was already 1/2 hour longer than expected physical and it was imperative that I pick up my son who was waiting for me at school.The woman monitor of the test walked right into the urine on the floor and told me to do what I wanted but she was going to call my potential employer and tell them I failed the test!I left the office and on the way to pick up my son I called the employer and told them what happened.They said that I couldn't start Mon. but would get back to me.They did,they didn't hire me(I'm still unemployed now due to my work closing down).I feel there was a verbal agreement that was broken and I also feel the testing process was flawed first by a woman doing the full physical(turn you head and cough) and the toilet back being the only place to set the urine cup down.The back of the toilet had stacks of toilet tissue right in the middle and I had to set the cup down to the side of them.I also could have kept my penis out and turned around to place the cup on a counter behind me but some how I thought it better to just place it down in front of me.Does anyone see anything I can do about any of this? The testing monitor treated me like an inmate or something and she called my house and was rude and she also called the potential employer and was rude to them!Sorry this was so long but I tried to cut it down the best I could!

Beth3

Short answer:

1. The employer is not compelled to hire you. Period.
2. IF the employer wants to hire you, they may insist that you successfully complete a pre-hire drug screen. If they will allow you to take the test over, I suggest you do so.

News Flash: There are indeed female physicians licensed to practice medicine these days. Having a pre-employment physical done by (gasp) a WOMAN doesn't violate any of your rights.

R

raywilder8841

denied 2

For the record I have no problem with a woman doing a physical but was I was taken back by it! In fourty years I've never been checked for a hernia by a woman and in speaking with many of my male friends they never have either.I have in a valid complete physical card that was done just back in July. By DOT regulations there was no reason to perform another test so soon the physical card is good for at least 6 months but if I was employed it would be good for two years!

Beth3

Well, ya got me. But if the employer wanted you to have a full physical (or whatever) before they hired you, that's their perogative.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Query: how many women do you think have had to have their physicals done by men over the years? The fact that you have never run across it before does not mean there's anything wrong with it or that any of your rights were violated.

N

nremtb

I typed this long reply and only after sending it did I realize I was not logged in. Argh!!!! So I'm makin' this one short. Unless you requested a male to perform your exam and were denied, there is no basis for a complaint. Since you did not "complete" the test, you did not pass. These pre-employment screenings are just what they sound like, hence the term "PRE" (BEFORE) meaning, if you pass the test "you're hired", if you don't, see ya! So there is no binding verbal agreement to employ you. If you can appeal to your potential employer to allow you the opportunity to complete another exam, then you should do so. Good luck.

R

raywilder8841

denied3

As I said before I don't have a problem with a woman per-say doing the physical however it was a shock and as far as I know woman quite often when having there privates checked have a woman attending as witness to the procedure.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact that it was a shock doesn't make it illegal. Give it up. You have no case.

Beth3

You're mistaken on that one, Ray. It is not standard practice for a male physician to have a female staff member in the room when doing an exam on a female patient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">