• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied employment due to 8 year old misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rivetlikewhoa

I live in california. This morning I went for an interview. It was at a staffing agency, that was hiring for another employer, I filled out all the paper work. After giving it to the lady at the front desk, she looked at me in disgust and said "you have been convicted of a crime?" I said "yes, back when I was 18, I was convicted of petty theft for shop lifting." She then asked what year it was in, which was 2003. She asked me to hold on a minute while she talked to the lady who was to interview me. After a couple minutes she came back and said "Thank you for coming by, we will call you and let you know if anything else comes up that would be a better fit for you."

My question is this legal? If so, what is the time length that you have to disclose a misdemeanor in california?

Antigone*

I live in california. This morning I went for an interview. It was at a staffing agency, that was hiring for another employer, I filled out all the paper work. After giving it to the lady at the front desk, she looked at me in disgust and said "you have been convicted of a crime?" I said "yes, back when I was 18, I was convicted of petty theft for shop lifting." She then asked what year it was in, which was 2003. She asked me to hold on a minute while she talked to the lady who was to interview me. After a couple minutes she came back and said "Thank you for coming by, we will call you and let you know if anything else comes up that would be a better fit for you."

My question is this legal? If so, what is the time length that you have to disclose a misdemeanor in california?
It is definitely legal. You will always have to disclose your criminal record.

You should be the poster child and example for all young people who want to shoplift. They believe that it is not a big deal ~ well guess what:cool: it is...BIG TIME.:cool:

Rivetlikewhoa

Thanks for the reply, although the sarcasm and the "poster child" comment were not necessary. Once again thanks for the smart ass reply

Antigone*

Thanks for the reply, although the sarcasm and the "poster child" comment were not necessary. Once again thanks for the smart ass reply
Maybe not, but it was freely and willingly given to others as a...

...well... a gift:D

See what a wonderful service you've provided. You have lead by example;) Maybe your example will keep some other young arrogant fool from doing the same thing.

csi7

You now need to figure out how you are going to explain this information in the future for employment. If the question is on the job application, then you need to have a short explanation available to write in on the job application.

No one has to hire anyone. Obviously, it is one of the qualifying questions for making it to the interview stage with this particular company.

If you make it to interview, you will have to be able to present your case with a short explanation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">