• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied a job due to prior Probation before judement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pennsylvania.

I recently applied for a job through a staffing agency for an Amazon.com warehouse distribution center. I filled out an application and provided information for a criminal background check approximately 2 weeks ago. This past Thursday I was contacted by the staffing agency and told that I had a job, and would report for Orientation this Thursday, July 2nd and given verbally a schedule of the days I was to work.

This morning I received a phone call informing me that I would not be hired do to a prior criminal conviction. About 3 years ago I was arrested and charged with 1st and 2nd degree assault and possession of a dangerous and deadly weapon in the state of maryland. The assault charges were Nolle Prosequi. However i received Probation Before Judgment for possession of a switchblade knife. I am under the impression that once a job has been offered it cannot be rescinded like this. An employer does not have an obligation to state a reason for not hiring a job candidate, but this can of worms has been opened. I believe that an employer cannot refuse to hire based on crimes I have not been convicted of.

I contacted the courthouse in Maryland and spoke to somebody and she advised me to inform the employer that whomever read the background report misunderstood its meaning. She also informed me that I am allowed to make a motion for expungement at this point in time for the PBJ. The woman at the courthouse also informed me how to review the record online and stated that I should show it to the employer that it says "Disposition: PBJ" with an end date. She told me that the form says Plea:Guilty, but Disposition is what they should be looking at. Which clearly says I am not guilty by the mere definition of "probation BEFORE judgment".

I contacted the employer again he requested a copy of the copy of the online record which I provided and he informed me that it said I was guilty, therefore I have no employment with them.

Now I have had several jobs including one that included TSA security clearance , all of them had background checks. I have never heard of being denied a job for crimes that there was no conviction involved. Am I correct in my suspicion that there is a gross impropriety here? If so, what course of action can I take? I was told that if I could have it expunged then I should do so and they will consider hiring me. However, I am laid off, and expungment takes 90 days.

Thank you in advance,
I am also providing a link to the online court file.
Maryland Judiciary Case Search

mlane58

Pennsylvania. I am under the impression that once a job has been offered it cannot be rescinded like this.
You would be wrong in your assumption.
An employer does not have an obligation to state a reason for not hiring a job candidate, but this can of worms has been opened. I believe that an employer cannot refuse to hire based on crimes I have not been convicted of.
Again you are wrong. An employer isn't obligated to hire anyone and can refuse to hire you as long as it isn't for the reason/s of your race. gender, age, religion, etc....

I contacted the employer again he requested a copy of the copy of the online record which I provided and he informed me that it said I was guilty, therefore I have no employment with them.
They can interpret as they see fit

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You plead GUILTY to an offense.

So, let's say the offense was embezzlement. You plead guilty to stealing from a former employer. However, the criminal charges were dropped in exchange for you completing probation.

Does that mean you didn't admit to stealing from a former employer?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're quoting law at us. So, are you a member of the Bar Association?

Care to quote the law that says the employer is required to hire you? (I'll give you a hint - there isn't one.)

I am not quoting law. I clearly put in my post that these were my assumptions, and clearly asked to be corrected if I am wrong. I find that last post to be quite rude, and your attention to detail quite lacking if you think I was quoting law. Thanks for nothing, I guess seeking legal advice on the internet, I get what I pay for.

As far as asking if the posters were members of the bar, it was not meant to be an insult. I merely asked, because I am all too familiar with the existence of "internet trolls". It was not meant to be taken that way, and I apologize to the other 2 poster if it was.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Very well then.

Your assumptions are wrong. The employer is not under any legal obligation to hire you.

Like that better?

arlenemyers

I agree with cbg. It's to the employer wether they will hire you or not but it's not their obligation so state the reason for not hiring you.

Well, as I said before I am not a lawyer, which is why I came here seeking information. I must again reiterate my stupidity for seeking free legal advice on and internet forum. I have searched google and have found several sources of information that lead me to believe it is worthwhile to consult with an attorney. My situation clearly to me, not unprecedented.

Example of something I found with no college degree and a simple search engine.
http://www.lac.org/toolkits/titlevii/Pennsylvania Statutes.pdf

I also realize that there is a chance that those who responded could be correct that I have no ground to stand on. However, thus far my brief experience on this forum has been quite unpleasant and overall unhelpful. There is really not much of a point in replying, as I will not be visiting this website again.

mlane58

Another satisfied customer who didn't hear what they wanted to hear and thus the responders are some how rude.

ecmst12

Prior arrests/convictions/deferred adjudications are NOT a protected characteristic under title VII. Sorry to disappoint, but no one called you stupid, merely said that you made incorrect assumptions (which you did).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">