• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

denied job for religious belief

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

retiredhero

What is the name of your state? Illinios

I am not bieng hired because God states that we should take a day of rest. Sunday. i went to tgi fridays today, and he was aobut to hand me the job and said if ic annot work sundays that he can not hire me for that specific reason....is this not persecuting me for my religious belief? i just want a job, this is the 2nd time that i have been denied for a job due to the fact i cannot work on sundays. please help me i just want to knwo if this is against the law. thanks all.
-retiredhero

H

hexeliebe

You have no case. If the job requires you to work sunday and you say that you cannot, then there is no law that says the employer MUST hire you and let you work any days you want.

Beth3

If you insist on not working on Sundays, then why are you applying for jobs that require you to work on Sunday? You aren't being persecuted for your religious beliefs - you're applying for the wrong jobs.

If you can only work first shift (for example), you don't go around applying for second shift jobs.

P.S. As far as I am aware, God never said that. If you believe in the bible's version of the creation of the universe, HE took the seventh day off but he never told us to.

R

retiredhero

even if its because of religion that i cannot. is that not what america is all about , bieng tolerant to peoples religions?

Beth3

Yes - and you are free to follow whatever religious praactices you want to. But that doesn't mean an employer is also required to allow you to work when you please. You both have freedom of choice. You're free to refuse to work on Sundays; they're free to refuse to fire you.

H

hexeliebe

As we both told you, an employer is not required BY LAW to make the job fit you. Only that if you are denied work, a raise, promotion or other because you are Jewish, protestant, catholic or Wiccan.

And if you don't want to work on Sundays then look elsewhere. There are plenty of jobs that don't require working on Sunday. So quit looking for a lawsuit and look for a job.

<EDITED>
And Beth is right, As I was about to quote the same passage. In fact, Jesus belittled the Priests when they condemmed him for working on miracles by saying "Don't you wash your donkey on the sabbeth. Don't you also feed your animals? Is this not work?"

R

retiredhero

if they also wouldnt hire me cause i had to kill the person i was replacing, but that was against our law and Gods law, would they still be right not to hire me. or suddenly does that law actually take effect.

H

hexeliebe

You started out with a valid question but now you're getting ridiculous.

R

retiredhero

1. i'm not looking for a lawsuit, i do not care to sue
2. Jesus was rebuking thier extreme interpretation of the law.

they questioned him for working on the sabbath when he picked the grain off the wheat and ate it, and healed people. they weren't looking to please God they were lookign to please man, by setting up useless laws so that they were more holy to the man.

H

hexeliebe

Listen, you have to legal facts.

You can argue all you want. or you can go out and find a job.

Frankly I'm tired of trying to help you.

R

retiredhero

and in reply to your saying that it was only God who didnt work on sunday and it wasnt commanded of us to.
Exodus 31:15
"For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a sabbath of rest, holy to the lord. whoever does anywork on the sabbath day must be put to death."

R

retiredhero

i'm sorry i was irrational, i just got back from the interview, and i was/am mad. but it hits me hard that someone would not hire me for my religious belief, especially when he claimed to hold the same belief as i. tahnk you for your time and sorry for wasting it.

Beth3

Look - if you were allergic to cats and dogs, would you apply for a job with a veterinary clinic and then be upset when they refused to hire you because they wouldn't accommodate you by keeping you away from the animals? It's the same thing.

Go look for a job that fits into your lifestyle. You don't find a job and then demand they work around what YOU want.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the last time:

He is not refusing to hire you because of your religious beliefs. He is refusing to hire you because you are unable/unwilling to work the hours he need you to work. There is a BIG difference.

Refusing to hire you because you are a Christian/Catholic/Jew/Hindu/Muslim/whatever would be illegal. Refusing to hire you because your religious beliefs do not permit you to work on the hours he needs you to work is NOT illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">