• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied UI benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I've just been notified that I have lost the last leg of my appeal w/UIMN. Obviously, I was hoping for a different answer, however, at almost every turn, I felt I was hitting a wall. I mean, who exactly is organization meant to service. I applied and in return was asked to clarify each answer/statement in detail only the website only allowed 3000 characters so I was forced to cut more than half out. I could only choose 1 reason for quitting so I chose a change in job. I was told I was ineligible due to being on the job too long, from Aug to Nov so I appealed. New hire started last week of august so technically not August, regardless - I trained new hire for close to 8 weeks. Moved into my office/position last week of Oct. - quit Nov 14. That was confirmed by boss during phone hearing. Lost appeal due to reason for quitting now being a personal conflict w owner. While true - I was found ineligible due to time on job....??? What happened to that? So I filed a request for reconsideration explaining how the website cut off my reply originally and included some back up documentation plus pointed out how my ineligibility & appeal determination were not on same subject only to be told they cannot accept new documents after 1st hearing. I feel like 1 person asks a question, a 2nd reads it and a 3rd replies. How is Joe supposed to know this? I've exhausted my resources and only then do they tell me how to go about this....?? I need a lawyer?

eerelations

People who quit their jobs are automatically and legally ineligible for UI benefits unless they quit their jobs because they were suffering long term and egregious harassment and/or discrimination based specifically on things like their race, religion, age, disability and/or gender. Nothing in your post indicates that the reason you quit your job was that you had been suffering long term and egregious harassment and/or discrimination based specifically on things like your race, religion, age, disability and/or gender, ergo, you are not eligible for UI benefits.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Interesting post history:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-crimes-federal-state-4/can-i-charged-fraud-602139.html
https://forum.freeadvice.com/drug-charges-28/terms-bail-603449.html

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So apparently miss Pennie has been indicted criminally -- should we guess for fraud or for something else to do with your quitting? Yeah, she is not getting UI.

commentator

You've lost the "last leg" of your benefits appeals. As in, you had the initial determination, and were declared ineligible. You appealed this, and you had a hearing, either by phone or in person, at which both you and the employer were present. Now you've been denied in this hearing due as you said I believe they said, "disagreement with employer."

That you could not put but so many characters in your information is really a good thing, for them, because it forces you to "cut to the chase." In other words, I quit my job because.....blah blah blah blah. And it doesn't really matter what all sorts of details you throw in there. You can make it as wordy, or as pithy as you choose. And when you have a very limited amount of space to expound on, you have to sort of pick a reason and throw it down. That's good. Because when you are training people to make these decisions, learning to cut to the heart of the issue is exactly what you have to teach them to do. I quit my job because.....and it needs to be one sentence.

You wouldn't have prevailed if you had come up with a whole lot more verbiage. You quit your job. There is a burden of proof, in unemployment law, that if you quit your job, you have to show you had a valid, JOB RELATED reason to quit the job. And not getting along with the employer, not being treated fairly, not being talked to nicely, those are not good enough reasons to quit a job.

To be a good enough reason to quit your job and draw unemployment, it has to be something extreme. Yes, it is likely that a person who is being discriminated against for EEOC related reasons, such as eerelations pointed out would have a pretty good chance of approval. But also, a person whose paychecks are bouncing, who is not being paid in a timely manner, who is being chased around the desk and sexually assaulted, or subjected to dangerous or illegal conditions while working might be determined to have a good job related reason to quit the job.

The situation you describe sounds like you were applying for a new job, and didn't get it for some reason your employer told you, like that you hadn't been on the job long enough or something like that, and so you quit.

You did quit the job. You were not terminated. It was not the employer's decision, it was yours to quit. It only requires one reason. Sounds as though they were struggling to find that reason for you and condensed it down to "disagreement with employer."

After you have exhausted your appeals, you don't get any more shots. You just don't get unemployment. No attorney can change this. Further arguments are useless. You should have discussed this or researched it before you quit the job. That was when a lay person should research it. Not long after when you've exhausted all your appeals.

I agree, very interesting posting history here.

Pennie

People who quit their jobs are automatically and legally ineligible for UI benefits unless they quit their jobs because they were suffering long term and egregious harassment and/or discrimination based specifically on things like their race, religion, age, disability and/or gender. Nothing in your post indicates that the reason you quit your job was that you had been suffering long term and egregious harassment and/or discrimination based specifically on things like your race, religion, age, disability and/or gender, ergo, you are not eligible for UI benefits.
Thank you for your response, although you seem to have skimmed over my point. Oh, and your wrong. I was hired for and worked an Admin position for 6 years and was moved into a whse job which required frequent trips to deep freezer. I did not, nor would not apply for such a position and was not moved due to disciplinary action, in fact I was given a pay increase. It's a valid claim.

My point is I was found ineligible for UI benefits for one reason, appealed & was validated, yet lost my appeal due to an entirely unrelated reason that never mentions my 1st determination of ineligibility. Sorry if i was unclear

Pennie

So apparently miss Pennie has been indicted criminally -- should we guess for fraud or for something else to do with your quitting? Yeah, she is not getting UI.
What's apparent to me is miss assumption is a
gossip*[*gos-uhp]

Definition:*talk about others; rumor

Synonyms:*account, babble, back-fence talk, blather, blether, buzz*, calumny, chatter, chitchat, chronicle, clothesline, conversation, cry, defamation, dirty laundry, dirty linen, dirty wash, earful, grapevine, hearsay, idle talk, injury, malicious talk, meddling, news, prate, prattle, report, scandal, scuttlebutt, slander, small talk, story, tale, talk, whispering campaign, wire

Antonyms:*fact

As such any input/output from you is not worthy of my time or patience. Dig all you want, your post says much more about you then me.

Pennie

You missed several other postings...

I have used this site for years, and in all but one instance, the drug charge, it has been on behalf of someone else who was unaware that this site was available for them to get answers, or they lack the ability or where-with-all to communicate their situation clearly. Actually I hate to dignify even that much of this with an answer as I owe you people nothing. You offer advice to strangers, I thought objectivity was implied. I sought advice from a forum which offered it, if you feel you need to make a judgement call, then you're offering the wrong services. Otherwise just answer the question - like you offered.

I'm stunned by your collective unprofessional-ism and juvenile attitude. I'll seek my advice elsewhere and recommend the same to everyone I know. Let's just assume that all will need legal aid at one point or another, right? Right...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have used this site for years, and in all but one instance, the drug charge, it has been on behalf of someone else who was unaware that this site was available for them to get answers, or they lack the ability or where-with-all to communicate their situation clearly. Actually I hate to dignify even that much of this with an answer as I owe you people nothing. You offer advice to strangers, I thought objectivity was implied. I sought advice from a forum which offered it, if you feel you need to make a judgement call, then you're offering the wrong services. Otherwise just answer the question - like you offered.

I'm stunned by your collective unprofessional-ism and juvenile attitude. I'll seek my advice elsewhere and recommend the same to everyone I know. Let's just assume that all will need legal aid at one point or another, right? Right...
So basically you have been lying when posting to us. You have been posting as if this is all about you but it really hasn't. Hence you have no credibility. Top that off with not knowing how to communicate in an adult manner and throwing in swear words and that just means you are not ready for this forum. The mods don't like swearing. I don't follow orders. And as for being a gossip, I read what YOU posted under your user name as happening to you. That means YOU are the one who was gossiping about yourself. Or about someone else but pretended it was about you.

Last edited by a moderator:

eerelations

Your former employer kept you on for SIX WHOLE YEARS :eek: before stashing you in the freezer??? Whew, you wouldn't have lasted SIX MINUTES at my workplace!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Pennie, dear, I have had employees found ineligible for benefits when I didn't even contest. If the UI office determines that you are ineligible for x reason, it doesn't matter a hoot that your employer contested on y reason.

It is extremely difficult to get unemployment when you quit. Regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">