• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Unemployment for refusing a job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

configman

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was collecting UI after completeing a 13 week contract position that paid $24 hr. I was by law able to make 40% of my $520 weekly benefit without loss of any of my UI. In this time period while I looked for a full time permanent position at a salary close to what I was making I took several part time jobs paying $10-$12 hr. I was offered a 3 week assignment that I turned down because I had 2 potential full time jobs at a good salary that I was called back for 2nd interviews. This fact was reported to the UI folks who promptly told me I was denied benefits and I owed them all the UI they had paid me. $3612. Their position was that the $10 hour job was suitable work. Suitable work for a person with a BS and 10 years experience in Finance and Administration. The first problem is the Employment Agency told the UI people it was a permanent full time position and when they offered it to me it was supposed to be only 3 weeks. Here is a classic case of he said she said. I have filed an appeal and I'm waiting for an appeal date. Anybody have any thoughts?What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

You're not likely to win the appeal. You don't get to collect from the government while you wait for the perfect job, you must accept any work offered. If it's not as much as you were making before, you could still qualify for partial unemployment while you continue to look for a new job, but you can't turn work down and still collect. That's not what UC is for.

fairisfair

You're not likely to win the appeal. You don't get to collect from the government while you wait for the perfect job, you must accept any work offered. If it's not as much as you were making before, you could still qualify for partial unemployment while you continue to look for a new job, but you can't turn work down and still collect. That's not what UC is for.
Um. . . . that isn't true. The job must meet certain criteria.

If you are a brain surgeon you are not expected to accept a job driving a tractor.

Or visa versa. ;)

"work for which you are suited by experience, education and/or training"

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not that clear cut. At least, not in my state.

I was an HR director and I ended up accepting a position as a housekeeper in a hotel.

Because of the discrepancy in responsibilities and pay, I was allowed to collect partial unemployment while I worked, while still looking for work more in line with my previous position.

Had I turned down the job, I would not have received any further benefits.

fairisfair

It's not that clear cut. At least, not in my state.

I was an HR director and I ended up accepting a position as a housekeeper in a hotel.

Because of the discrepancy in responsibilities and pay, I was allowed to collect partial unemployment while I worked, while still looking for work more in line with my previous position.

Had I turned down the job, I would not have received any further benefits.
eligibility is determined by state law. within federal guidelines. so every state would be different.

ecmst12

As far as I know, it is the same here. A friend of mine was also turned down for UC because she refused to accept a temp job because she wanted a permanent position.

fairisfair

As far as I know, it is the same here. A friend of mine was also turned down for UC because she refused to accept a temp job because she wanted a permanent position.
not accepting a temporary job would not be the same as not accepting a position for which you were severely over qualified.

fairisfair

oh, well, all he can do is appeal. I would be collecting data regarding his line of work and DOL standards for pay. something. . . . . .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">