• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"derogative remarks made" did not get job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coskierken

What is the name of your state?
Colorado

I was made a job offer by a government agency. I was only waiting for my security clearance to be updated when I received the news my name was being withdrawn from the job due to "derogative remarks made". They would not tell me who or what was said. I previously worked for the federal government at the future place of employment and felt I had been wronged and relocated back to my headquarters in another state. I had since retired from federal service from a particular agency and was in the private sector. I had made the decision to return to federal service (not the same agency) since the private sector jobs in the the Denver area are slow. Apparently someone has long memories and decided to use their influence. I don't think this is lawful for a former employer or individuals to make "derogative remarks". I need input. Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based SOLELY on the information provided in your post, nothing illegal has transpired. The fact that you have decided you want to work for this agency does not obligate the agency to hire you.

"Derogatory" remarks are not illegal unless they are with reference to a protected catagory, and even then it depends on exact circumstances.

enjay

Submit a FOIA request to the investigating agency. Some of the information will be redacted, however you will learn what was said. It is not unlawful for someone to say negative, truthful things during an OPM background investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">