• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did the Company do what was right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rambo

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband was employed by a utility inspection service for 10 months, since Feb of this year. He has surveyed in many different states. In September of this year he was sent to Baton Rouge, LA and told that I could train to do the same job he is doing. After 2- 1/2 weeks we were transfered to Alabama because they needed to complete a survey there.I completed my training there and became a full certified technician.

The first part of December, we were transferred to Georgia which is the home office of this company. We were told we would spend approximately 3 months here.

After 3 days of working in Georgia, we were called into the office and terminated. We were told it "just isn't working out for us". When my husband asked why, he was given an instance of a problem. As far as we knew, we were following proceedure as we had been trained in this area and had not been told any differently.

Needless to say we were stunned. Fortunately for us, we found a position with another company this week. That left us without wages for 3 weeks.

We feel we were unjustly terminated. The employee manual states that any substandard work will first be coached and improvements allowed to be made. That didn't happen and it also state that we were to receive the Georgia Separation Notice For ESA800. That didn't happen.

My question is: Can we recover the 3 weeks in lost wages from the company?

pattytx

It may have been unjust, but the termination as you describe it was not illegal.

Relative to the separation notice, I had not heard of that requirement, but you can contact the Georgia Dept. of Labor to confirm and file a complaint if appropriate.

You should have filed for unemployment the week of termination ... It would not be at full wages but something is better than nothing. The termination was not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">