• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Direct Deposit and charging for payroll corrections (revisited)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JW8

i took the advice of a reply from this forum and did some checking on the idol website. i did not find anything pertaining to being charged if we forget to punch in but i did find something else my community bank employer is doing. the community bqank i work for in illinois makes all employees receive direct deposit of their payroll. even the poster in the break room has a sticker placed on it by the employer saying we will be paid by direct deposit. also the policy manual has a section which directly says we will be paid by direct deposit. when i first started i was comfortable receiving paychecks but they directly told me payroll would not write me a check every two weeks and i had to fill out the direct deposit form. even though i do find it convenient to have direct deposit, knowing they are in violation, what should i do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
According to at least one source I have, the state of Illinois does permit mandatory direct deposit as long as the employee has the choice of financial instituation. However, if this source is incorrect, I'm not sure which agency oversees this - probably the Wage and Hour division of the Illinois DOL. You might want to give them a call and ask how to proceed.

J

JW8

your sources may be right, i have actually just gone over it. www.state.il.us/agency/idol/ has a section about frequently asked questions. under the frequently asked questions heading you can select "wage payment and collection act" about the thirteenth or fourteenth question is " Can i be required by company policy to accept direct deposit of my paycheck?" the reply is " No. An employer must pay each of its employees his/her wages in a form that may readily convert into cash(without the need of a personal bank account), unless the employee volunteers to be paid by direct deposit in an account at a bank or financial institution of his or her choice. 820 ILCS 115/4." however paragraph 4 of 115/4 line 4 states " or by deposit of funds in an account in a bank or other financial institution designated by the employee." so im not sure which one to follow. because obviously this is a question many people have to be in the section and it directly refers to a specific section of the act but the act it self does not stipulate it cannot be policy or mandatory. which should i follow?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">