• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability after being Diagnosed with cancer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jah5910

I am a 32 year old nurse employed for 8 years at a hospital in OH. In June I was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy with reconstruction on Sept. 28. There is a chance I won't be physically able to perform the duties I did before. Does the hospital legally have to accomodate my disability. What if they don't. I just wanted to know the options I had. The duties I won't be able to perform include lifting, pulling and anything else streneous. This is the only profession I have ever been in and not trained in any other field. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

ALawyer

First my prayers for your full recovery.

Second under the Americans With Disability Act, the hospital has to involve you in the process in an effort to make reasonable accomodations. (What they would be depend on the facts and circumstances.) It need not create a new job for you that does not exist, but it must make reasonable efforts to try to accomodate your situation.

And the next time a politician says there is no role for the big Federal government, just remember that without ADA and without COBRA for continuing your insurance benefits, you could have been fired and coverageless.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">