• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability discrimnation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zapperok

What is the name of your state?oklahoma
I transfered from Texas with DSC Logistics to Oklahoma at a new plant.
3 months after I moved here my company informed us that they had lost their contract with Georgia Pacific to do their logisitics.
All of the managment at DSC Logisitics would be terminated and NSL another sub contracted logistics managment team would come on board.
During the last phase of this transistion. I had a disability come up and I was in the hospital. My company DSC said that if I didn't show up for work the day the actual trasititon occured I would be terminated. There was no possible way for me to be at work that day. I called the next buisness day and spoke to the new owner of NSL about my job. He said that due to the fact that I was on short term disability I would not be brought on board with their company. Nothing in the papers that NSL had given hourly employees said anything about not getting hired by them if you were on short or long term disability. Every hourly employee was suppose to be hired on straight accross according to the written information sheet that was given to each one of us. I found out that I was the only one not hired back on. I was making more per hour than any other hourly employee there at the plant.
Is this legal? To not hire me because of being on short term disability?

I have contacted my local Human Rights Commision and they are in the process of investigation.

Any information would be appericated

Beth3

Being temporarily disabled due to a short-term illness or injury is not the same as "having a disability." If I understand correctly, the day the former employees were to be rehired by the new company, you were not available for work. There's nothing illegal about their failure to hire you for that reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">