• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robert123

If an employee is on temporary disability, and you are down sizing, and eliminating that person's position from your company, are there any laws that will be broken by doing this?

Business is in California

Beth3

Nope, as long as the employer isn't taking any action they would have taken if the employee had been actively at work (i.e included in the RIF because of seniority, job performance, job elimination, or some other legitimate reason that has nothing to do with the employee's FMLA status.)

Robert123

Re: Beth3's reply

Thank you, Beth, for your reply!

Could you please explain what RIF stands for, and is there a case or law that you base your answer from?
Robert
PS
Are you an attorney?
[/B]
Beth3 said:
Nope, as long as the employer isn't taking any action they would have taken if the employee had been actively at work (i.e included in the RIF because of seniority, job performance, job elimination, or some other legitimate reason that has nothing to do with the employee's FMLA status.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
RIF means Reduction in Force - i.e. downsizing.

The FMLA statute clearly states that an employee on FMLA is not protected from any action that would have been taken regardless of their FMLA status. It's written right into the law - case law is not needed to prove the point.

I am not an attorney, but I am an HR professional of over 25 years experience who has been working with FMLA ever since it was signed into law well over ten years ago.

Robert123

Rif

Hello Beth,
Thank you for getting back to us so quickly! I appreciate all of you help, and great information.

Take care.
Robert

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, actually, it was me, not Beth, that provided the second post, but Beth's answer would have been the same. In all respects. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">