• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled employee at wits end

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a3593

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I was forced by my employer to go home on a leave of absence without pay due to work restrictions stemming from a disability. There was a vacant position I could have been transferred to-it wasn't done. I even applied for this position and filled out an official ADA Accommodation request. (I got no response.) The leave of absence had a finite duration. Before the leave of absence was over, I was asked to send updated medical info. Then, then my employer forced me to go to an Independent Medical Exam (IME)-a Dr chosen & paid by them. The IME Dr (surprise) says I do not need the restrictions initially set forth. I told my employer I am not well and that to perform my essential job duties I needed some simple accommodations. They said based on the IME results you don't. I said I did. Finally, they say just stay on leave of absence until we figure this out. Three months and after a second IME in which the Dr stated he felt I indeed needed help at work, HR agreed to accommodations. I went back to work with all but one in place, since that was a different disability and wasn't accessed at these IME'S. I provided the suggested accommodations for that particular disability a week after I had returned to work. Then, a few days later, I am told by HR that they are rescinding all of my accommodations based on the IME that occurred months back. They said the first IME Dr reviewed my "medical info" and restated his stance. I'm at my wits end. I just want to be able to work. This situation took away my pay for 7 months, and I return to work with no accommodations. Can they do this?

OHRoadwarrior

They are not required to give you a different job because it is convenient for you. You must overcome the burden of the IME saying you don't need accommodation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">