• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disciplinary Action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DolphinVJ

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a problem at work. I have the MSN Live Messenger set up on my PC at work. The way we are set up at work is if we log onto the Internet, it will stay “active” for an hour even if we sign off after 2 minutes. So when I take my 15 minute-break and sign off of the Internet, the MSN Live Messenger when signed in, runs off the Internet as if I was live on the Internet. My employer ran an Internet usage report on me and it shows that I was on the Internet for an hour when I really was on for only 15 minutes during the break. I told them about the MSN Live Messenger being set up on my PC as the reason for showing excess usage but they refuse to believe that the report showing one hour of usage on Internet was because of this connectivity, they are accusing me of excessive use of Internet.

Please help – what can I do or say to prove my innocence? I have been written up for “Final Written Warning” despite this being my first alleged offense.

Thanks in advance for your input.

justalayman

a demonstration perhaps?

if they will let you show them, set up a time where your boss watches you log on and log back off several minutes later. Then have whomever pull an internet usage report to verify your scenario as correct.

AL HR

Good advice justalayman. Legally dolphin, they can write you up. I would also suggest you disconnect the messenger service asap. I'm surprised they didn't write you up for that as most companies won't allow you to download any programs/tools from the internet due to virus concerns.

Gadfly

The network administrator should be able to remove it from all systems remotely to resolve this problem. If they don't, STAY OFF IT. Even on break you are still using your company resources and their pc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">