• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disciplinary althoguh accept I was sick...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

panegyric

What is the name of your state?My job, which is incidentally a part-time retail job, interviewed me last week about 4 absences in a year.

Tomorrow they have called me for a disciplinary interview about it. I have given in a doctors note and they say that they believe that I was sick.

I had an investigatory interview last week and, everything being official, it was all written down to be sent to head-office.

It was written in the interview, "After careful consideration of what has been said, I feel that I am going to issue you with a disciplinary interview. The reasons for this is not that I am disputing the fact that you were sick but that every time you are off sick you are letting the team down and somebody else has to do your job as well as their own."

I don't know where I stand from a legal point of view. Nowhere I think, but any help?

Also, and although it is not a "law" issue, but if if they accept that I was ill, I can't be disciplined. I think I only could be reprimanded if they accused me of lying. I think I can't be punished for being an inconvenience if they accept that that inconvenience was unavoidable.

Thoughts anyone?
Legal or not, anything that will come across well?
The supervisor who is doing all this is pretty stupid and I wouldn't be surprised if she had not overlooked a law or something somewhere.

Beth3

Also, and although it is not a "law" issue, but if if they accept that I was ill, I can't be disciplined That is simply not true. Even absences for legitimate and unavoidable reasons can be deemed excessive by the employer and an employee disciplined.

I think I only could be reprimanded if they accused me of lying. While they could also discipline you if they think you were lying, they may discipline you for your abstenteeism even if they believe you are not.

I think I can't be punished for being an inconvenience if they accept that that inconvenience was unavoidable. See my first answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">