• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discipline actions and possible civil rights involvement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Henrycow

What is the name of your state? NY
Two weeks ago I was offered union representation in a meeting with Management, Human Resources, and my steward. To which I chose representation. Nothing was indicated as to what I maybe have infracted, only told that a meeting was to be announced. Two weeks transpire with nothing forth withcoming from any source. Union contract specifies that any disicplanary action to be brought forth with within 72 hours. Which has expired! I have been working contiguously since with not one interruption.
I was scheduled to work Saturday, Sunday and Monday(twelve hour shifts) off Tuesday then back for two more twelve hour shifts giving me 4 - 12 hour days which is one extra day. A fellow worker who needed more time asked to work my monday obligation to which I acquiesced. A manager called in to talk to the charge person and was surprised by my co-worker answering her call. Going on... that they, meaning management, human resources, and Union rep were to discuss my disciplanry action.Now it was to late, at that point, to call it off. My co-worker espoused to others that what lay in wait for me but that I wasn't aware of. Is this a violation of my civil rights? Or is this a violation of the hippa laws that are in affect? Or some form of slander as now my peers are in complete knowledge now of my plight?
I hope this wasn't to convoluted so my apologies in advance.

Tim

JETX

Since you are clearly under union representation, there is no way that anyone can answer your concerns without reviewing the terms union contract. I would suggest you contact your union steward.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since HIPAA only references privacy for MEDICAL information, I can answer your question about HIPAA - the answer is that HIPAA has not been violated in any way.

Nothing in your post suggests that your civil rights have been violated, either.

Having your peers know that you have been under disciplinary action does not constitute slander. You MIGHT have a case for slander if something that is downright false is told to your peers as being fact, but even that would depend on precisely what was said and to whom. However, since you WERE being disciplined, it is not slander to say that; slander involves something UNTRUE being broadcast.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">